Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Have I made the right choice?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hello TSR,

I came out with BBD for my As results in sociology, psychology and history respectively and was really unhappy about the D in history especially because I had been consistently getting A's in my mocks and practice papers which is why my teacher had also predicted me an A. I briefly skimmed over the topics that came up in the exam as my teacher told us to pay more attention to the others as he didn't see any of those topics to be coming up. However the outcome is partly my fault as well as I should have revised everything just incase.

Anyway, after seeing the terrible grade, I suddenly accepted this self fulfilling prophecy that I was not capable of doing the subject and didn't see myself improving by next year which meant that I had no choice but to carry on with psychology and sociology including English literature (my fourth A level we didn't have an exam for as it's linear).

The problem is all year I barley attended any English lessons as my teachers really can't teach and everyone complained about them and I was set on dropping the subject as I presumed that I'd do well in history. I had begun to really despise the subject despite getting an A in the coursework and got an A in the English mock also.

Last week I was forced to enrol onto A2 English literature alongside psychology and sociology and since then felt really down and depressed to the point that I couldn't sleep properly as I thought that my future is now in shambles as I didn't see myself in progressing in English having lost my passion for it very early on and also I suck at poetry which is the focal point for next year.

I decided to go back and change courses yesterday and after a lot of research I found that the only subject I can do without having to take another year is communication and culture intensive. I'm aware that this subject is disregarded by many however feel as though I can attain an A* in it and now have no excuse to not get A/A* in my other subjects also. This will open up many doors for my such as getting accepted into a Russell group uni that have high entry requirements and I wouldn't have been able to do this otherwise.

Having said that, I still feel as though I have let myself, teachers and family down for choosing this easier route as I did have the potential but then again feel as though this change will be beneficial for me in the long run.

Thank you for reading.

No Russell group uni is going to accept that as a subject, to them, you'll only have two A levels.

(Original post by Mr Moon Man;[url="tel:67332716")
    67332716[/url]]No Russell group uni is going to accept that as a subject, to them, you'll only have two A levels.
    Not true. I know people that got accepted into Russell groups (queen Mary and kings) and they did communication and culture also. The ones that do not accepted the subject specifically have a non preferred list.

Wtf is communication and culture, you should just resit year 12
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.