Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Applying to University for a third time?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

To say the least I've kind of been all over the place since A Levels
    I initially applied for VetMed, having gathered around 11 or so weeks worth of work experience, got two interviews and sadly ended up with 5 rejects. The whole process was incredibly stressful, and I ended up with BBCbc anyway so I decided this route wasn't actually the best match for me. Even if I did resit, I knew I'd end up being a drop out from the academic stress Vet school would provide. So I convinced myself becoming a Chemistry teacher would be better suited - just because I enjoyed the subject at A Level? -.- Started this degree at Reading for 7 months, dropped out as it was just so boring aha. Had zero drive to try to learn any of the content.
    So I then tried to think about my routes, my old passions, something I'd actually enjoy. Having been very artistic since I was young, and I continued my hobby throughout the years, I thought an Art degree would be an investment into improving my technical ability and providing time to find work experience and build a rep. So I got into University through clearing, and started a Painting and Drawing course. And I am happy, pretty stress free, but not passionate about the subject. I did a residency at a Zoo, drawing their animals from life, using photographs as resources for paintings.
    But I don't want to settle. Whenever I am at a zoo, farm, some form of animal interaction (more with wildlife apposed to domestic), I kind of feel 'lit up'? Genuinely happy. If I enjoyed art this much, I wouldn't keep procrastinating, never making time to sit down and paint or draw.
    So I've started thinking - maybe a Zoo Keeper? I'd deal with the crap pay, as happiness > money.
    I know you can become one without a degree, just with a whole load of experience. However you'd still be lacking academic knowledge, which I enjoy learning, I still love science, but I still hate exams.
    So is it worth applying through clearing again for Zoology? I would only have funding for 2 out of 3 years. However I've looked into private student funding, from Future Finance. And having a part time job, repaying around £50 a month isn't too bad to secure a happy future.

Super long, I know sorry!
    I just want to be happy, to make a difference and be proud of the life I'm living.

Just apply through clearing and see how it goes. Worth a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you're just going from one thing to another, and wasting a lot of money while you're at it. I would stop, take a year out, work full time/part time (to earn money for the year you need to fund yourself) and try to get a part-time job or work experience in a zoo to actually see if it is something you want to do. Then you can apply properly, not just through clearing, with better research into the unversities and the specific modules and courses that they offer to see if they suit you, rather than choosing from a small pool of universities and courses this year.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.