The Student Room Group

Mum doesn't want me to apply for university out of London.

So I got BBC in my AS results and those results were enough for me to be predicted the grades I wanted so I was ok with it. The thing is, when I got my results, my mum was like, "Oh you should stay in London (where we live) because I know you'll fail if you're alone." and she basically tried to guilt trip me into applying for unis in London. I don't like any of the unis in London because of location and atmosphere and when I tried to tell her this, she said I was looking at the uni for the most shallow reasons and I was trying to break apart the family.

I'm viewing university as a way to escape because I have a terrible relationship with my family and I'm planning to just go to university and never come back. At the moment, I've looked at unis and all of them are out of London and more than an hour and a half away. Back in June,I went to a uni 2 hours away from where we live and I loved it. She ruined the whole day by saying how my degree wasn't worth going away for (I want to do an Arts subject) and that I was going to come crawling back to her. What annoys me the most is that my twin brother is applying for Physics at uni and she's openly encouraging him to apply for university out of London but with me she's the complete opposite.

I'm not sure what I should do because she's such a controlling mother and quite frankly, I hate her and don't want to see her again after I go to uni. Should I just apply to where I want? I'm thinking of doing that but then I'm scared that it'll be a blood bath of an argument.
Reply 1
Oh yeah and she walked into my room the other day and gave me a long lecture of how I was going to do badly at A2 and get into a terrible uni. It's a toxic environment and I don't really have anywhere to go until uni.
Dude all I can say its your future dont let anyone determine whete you go to study. Dont let your mom put you down i know this may sound bad but you can apply without really consulting your mom. If you want to live away from london just ask your school to speak to your mom to tell her to pros of living away.
im currently in the same situation my mom and dad want me to stay local but i dont really want to stay in Birmingham. Ive told them i want to go away and applying where im applying (obviously with the most request) i think that they are cool now... well i hope.
Best thing to do is have a sit down with school and tell them about the toxic situation, you dont want to hear all that stuff while youre completing a levels.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Dude all I can say its your future dont let anyone determine whete you go to study. Dont let your mom put you down i know this may sound bad but you can apply without really consulting your mom. If you want to live away from london just ask your school to speak to your mom to tell her to pros of living away.
im currently in the same situation my mom and dad want me to stay local but i dont really want to stay in Birmingham. Ive told them i want to go away and applying where im applying (obviously with the most request) i think that they are cool now... well i hope.
Best thing to do is have a sit down with school and tell them about the toxic situation, you dont want to hear all that stuff while youre completing a levels.

I know I can but she tries to guilt trip me into doing things her way. I've told myself it won't work with my uni choices but she tries every single trick in the book.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending