Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What are my chances for Stanford/Berkeley/MIT?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing the IB DP. I'm taking HL Econ, Physics, and Math, and I'm considering doing Computer Science or Economics for my major.

What do you think are my chances for the above schools, based on these statistics?

New SAT: 1510, 760 for Math and 750 for English.
    SAT II: 800 for Math II, 750 for Physics
    IGCSEs: 7 A*s, 5 As, 1 B (Additional Math ), and a 5 for AP Computer Science A.

- Started a successful interview podcast that has been featured by Apple. I'm hoping this'll be a unique extracurricular which will set me apart from other applicants.
    - Published 2 apps on the App Store with over 10,000 downloads in total
    - Created a social network for students looking for CAS/internships with over 5,000 users
    - Head of Marketing & PR for a global non-profit
    - Founded a national hackathon (I'm in Singapore, so really, it's city-wide)
    - Head of Communications for school TEDx event

I'm an Indian American (U.S. Citizen). What are your thoughts on how I can get into these schools?

Post this on college confidential

But your chances are not very good. You have a better shot with Berkeley than the other 2. But still, chances are not very high. They aren't for 99% of people.

Also there are other critical components people would need to evaluate you (which, by the way, only the admissions office can do. Not anyone online): Essays (IMPORTANT) and recommendations (ALSO IMPORTANT)

Berkeley is much easier than the other two you mention. You probably have a decent shot at it and similar.

IMO, you have a decent shot at either. But obviously, odds are low for everyone.

Your scores and grades are top notch - i.e. fit that of a regular admitted applicant and your ECs are at least somewhat notable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Post in College Confidential as the other poster mentioned. It is significantly more difficult if you are Asian and if you are studying outside the US regardless of citizenship. I would not think you would have good chances at 2 of the schools mentioned, which are like top 5 or so. Berkeley is about number 50. I would think would have a shot at lower Ivy and similar.

As mentioned, Stanford and MIT are a crapshoot for even the most highly qualified applicants. You have a rather good shot at Berkeley, but - unlike at the other two - you'd be stuck paying the full cost of attendance as an out-of-state student (a key reason the UCs are admitting more OOS and international students).

Widen your scope. You'd have a very good shot at Carnegie Mellon and some other colleges with good CS programs. Rice, USC, and Caltech might be worth a look in particular. For econ, I'd throw Northwestern, Duke, Chicago and most of the Ivies into the mix. Most of these are extremely selective, of course.

You'd be a very appealing applicant at some of the liberal arts colleges with big STEM programs (Swarthmore, Bucknell, Union, Lafayette, etc.).

If you want a Bay Area option with a good reputation but easier to get into than Stanford, check out Santa Clara.

NUS has a joint degree program with UNC Chapel Hill. Perhaps worth a look.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.