The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Which of these unis is best for engineering?

I am applying to study material/mechanical engineering at Birmingham, Loughborough, Manchester and a few others that I want to go to far less. I had heard a lot about Manchester from teachers at school, saying that it is regarded very highly for engineering but it is 30th overall in the Guardian 2017 league tables and not ranked much higher for engineering courses. Whereas Loughborough ranks joint 4th! Could somebody please share their knowledge on these 3 universities particularly for engineering related courses.

Thanks!
Original post by waffrapong
I am applying to study material/mechanical engineering at Birmingham, Loughborough, Manchester and a few others that I want to go to far less. I had heard a lot about Manchester from teachers at school, saying that it is regarded very highly for engineering but it is 30th overall in the Guardian 2017 league tables and not ranked much higher for engineering courses. Whereas Loughborough ranks joint 4th! Could somebody please share their knowledge on these 3 universities particularly for engineering related courses.

Thanks!

Hi waffrapong

I can't comment on the other universities that you have mentioned and being a little biased I'd say come to Loughborough! In all seriousness, our Engineering schools are brilliant, rank very highly (as you've found out) and have above average employability rates after you've finished your degree - partially down to every single one of our courses offering a placement year. Excellent facilities and a our award winning student experience are also highly regarded by students

There are other things to consider too to make up the whole student experience for you such as which courses offer you the best grounding for the career path you want to take, are you happier in a big 24/7 city, do you want everything on a single campus, do you prefer to be closer to home or to live away and things like that. You're going to be at uni for 4 or 5 years so it needs to be the right place for you and somewhere that you feel comfortable and happy to be.

My advice is to go to the Open Days of your shortlist of universities - it really is the best way to decide which to rule out and which suit you the best. Our next open days are Friday 23rd & Saturday 24th September and there is still time to book if you wanted to come along by clicking here.

If you've got any more specific questions about Loughborough ask away, we're always happy to help. Good luck with your decision making :smile:

Vicky
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Quick Reply