Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this laptop good for uni?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I'm about to start university, and I still haven't purchased a laptop yet.
    I'm HIGHLY considering to buy this one laptop that has a one-day sale today and I was hoping for someone who could tell me is it good for University or not?
    I'll be starting business(but more on the math side of things) and I am going to university in Canada(I'm Canadian if that makes a difference).

The laptop I was thinking to buy is the ASUS X540LA-BB51-CB.
    Other specs are...
    Intel i5(5th generation)
    8GB RAM
    1TD HDD

Would that be sufficient enough for university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

For uni you just need something that can run microsoft word/ppt/excel and have a decent battery life no? The rest of the specs are to your preference. That one has more than enough RAM and space

Its adequate. It appears to be a N American model, so we have npthiong to compare it with and I cnat tell whether its good value or not.

here are some reviews of roughtly the similar computer except your has a faster processor (faster generally) and more ram (more flexible for multitasking.

It will do fine for office, excel, surfing the net, writing essays etc.

It doesnt have a dedictaed graphics card so you cna more or less forget playing games on it.

Batery life about 4hrs which is ok, but low when compared to the more efficient mobiles of today which cna go from 8-12h.
    Sizewise its prety standard to what laptops are, but the trend has been to smaller pcs so 11-13" screens. Because its bigger its also heavier, although this one isnt too nad at 2kg. Pick up 2kg to see. It would help if you compared it to real life computers or even better gopt to see one in real life as then you cna figure oyt things like construction, sound, screen quality, keyboard, mouse pad. Weight and general diemnsions.

People tend to prefer lighter, longer battery and smaller i.e more portable, but that costs more money. A lot depends how you will work at uni.

Asus are a reasonably reliable brand and check the warranty . Seems ti be 1 year international, used to be two.

Its ok imo, depends on price and helps if you get to see one working in real life. It will do the tasks you stated perfectly fine. Noy yoo exciting though, but then the price could make it great value. I dont know.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.