The Student Room Group
Reply 1
what a good question.

There are few differences in the actual content of each specification (A level that is) but there certainly are differences in approach and in the way that they are examined. I do not put myself forward as any kind of expert but I have done some research. Here is a very brief summary...

OCR A and AQA A seem the most traditional to me. They both have optional units (e.g. nuclear physics, medical physics) and practical exams.
AQA B and OCR B (Advancing Physics) make more of an effort to be context based with an emphasis on problem solving and applying physics ideas. OCR B is what evolved from the old Nuffield course and it is sponsored by the Institute of Physics. My college teaches this and it is very popular.
Edexcel A seems very traditional while Edexcel B is incredibly context based (units on Sound and Music and The mechanics of Breaking Biscuits). I know people who teach it and love it but it seems strange to me.

You could analyse it in terms of results although this can be misleading and varies from year to year. I couldn't find Edexcel results but here are OCR and AQA A level passes for 2006. (according to the examiners reports i found on the internet)

OCR A 26.9% got A 69.4% got at least a C
OCR B 31.2% got A 73.4% got at least a C
AQA A 29.6% got A 68.3% got at least a C
AQA B 27.8% got A 66.0% got at least a C

remember though, there are lies, damn lies and statistics!

All the courses change after next year anyway. My college does OCR B and doing this research has justified its decision to stick with it. I am sure there will be those out there who disagree and I would love to here your opinions.
lol anything but cie is easy, consider urself lucky
Reply 3
I think Edexcel A is the hardest probably (apart from CIE which I don't know about).

I'm not sure whether OCR is as rigorous as you say but I couldn't comment as I have no experience of it.
Reply 4
I did Edexcel B for AS (not particularly difficult). Drummy describes it as "increadibly context based" and while this is true of the text book and general course structure the exams itself are not like this. For example all the stuff about waves may be viewed from principle of a CD player and descussions of material properties from properties of food. But in the exam they ask about anything - no mention of food or CD players. Also our teachers didnt bother with all the context stuff and just skip to the "tradiditional" stuff whihc is tested...
I must admitt my physics teacher who is an examiner for AQA A says AQA A by far is the easiest board..maybe he's just got everything good to say about the board because he works for them..i don't know... but i too personally think he's telling the truth...i'm not sure about OCR but my cousion who is doing Edexcel B finds it hard...
Reply 6
He's a filthy dirty liar and I'd like you stand up in front of the class on Monday and call him one. Also, write to your head teacher and demand he be sacked.

(keep me out of it, OK)
Reply 7
Looking around, I would say AQA A looks like the best exam board to do Physics with, I don't know if it is the easiest, but it seems the most interesting in terms of content, and the exams seem solid and test knowledge rather than *******s like Edexcel B. :p:
Reply 8
Drummy
He's a filthy dirty liar and I'd like you stand up in front of the class on Monday and call him one. Also, write to your head teacher and demand he be sacked.

(keep me out of it, OK)
Someone doesn't like AQA A.... :p:

Latest