The Student Room Group

Applying to Non Russell group Uni's (GCSES)

When you are applying to non Russell group uni's, do gcse's matter even if you have a C and above in English and Maths?
Well it depends on which universities you plan on applying to. Some non-Russell Group members are vastly superior to members of the Russell Group as it is just a marketing group, so you will find some non- Russell group Universities will expect As in certain GCSEs if they are related to your degree or Bs in Maths and English. There are however a lot that simply want Cs in English and Maths and as long as you do well in your A levels you are fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Penguinfarts
Well it depends on which universities you plan on applying to. Some non-Russell Group members are vastly superior to members of the Russell Group as it is just a marketing group, so you will find some non- Russell group Universities will expect As in certain GCSEs if they are related to your degree or Bs in Maths and English. There are however a lot that simply want Cs in English and Maths and as long as you do well in your A levels you are fine.

I was talking about applying to so called "mediocre" unis such as Hull and Keele etc
Original post by jackpayner
I was talking about applying to so called "mediocre" unis such as Hull and Keele etc

Not sure about Hull but I know Keele can be very forgiving when it comes to GCSEs with some of their subjects not requiring GCSE maths if you have a C in a Science I believe, unless it has changed since I last saw. So I wouldn't worry about GCSEs too much, as long as you have done well enough to get into the next stage of education you should be good.
Original post by jackpayner

Easiest thing to do is go on the uni's website, search for the course you are interested in and check out the entry requirements - gcse requirements will be listed alongside A level grades.

Quick Reply

Latest