The Student Room Group

Subject eligibility versus qualifications

If I study one subject in college, would I be able to study a completely unrelated subject at university? For example if I had achieved level 3 NVQ in Catering, could I then go to study Business Management, or Psychology, or Nursing, etc.
Depends largely on your grades, the university requirements and the university, your justifications for studying something completely unrelated etc etc
Reply 2
Original post by tststp
If I study one subject in college, would I be able to study a completely unrelated subject at university? For example if I had achieved level 3 NVQ in Catering, could I then go to study Business Management, or Psychology, or Nursing, etc.

It does vary, but generally the subjects have to be similar. So you'll need science subjects to study nursing, and an easy subject or maths for business. If you're conspiring catering then you'll ideally be wanting to study catering related subjects.

Alternatively, you could look at doing an A Level alongside. If you do something like English or maths it will keep more subjects open to you
Reply 3
Original post by Sarah1778
Depends largely on your grades, the university requirements and the university, your justifications for studying something completely unrelated etc etc

Original post by Juno
It does vary, but generally the subjects have to be similar. So you'll need science subjects to study nursing, and an easy subject or maths for business. If you're conspiring catering then you'll ideally be wanting to study catering related subjects.

Alternatively, you could look at doing an A Level alongside. If you do something like English or maths it will keep more subjects open to you

Thanks guys, your information is a real help for me :smile:
Just do some research by looking at the course requirements. They may want specific qualifications to do a certain degree because the knowledge is buily on, they tend to be similar for each subject, but there are slight variations between unis. Just use some common sense.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-for-the-degree-you-want-to-study

Will give you an idea, but you should always checj the specific uni.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Just do some research by looking at the course requirements. They may want specific qualifications to do a certain degree because the knowledge is buily on, they tend to be similar for each subject, but there are slight variations between unis. Just use some common sense.

http://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-for-the-degree-you-want-to-study

Will give you an idea, but you should always checj the specific uni.

Thanks for the info 999tigger :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest