The Student Room Group

what's it like to do a level physics

Scroll to see replies

Guys, I wanna do civil engineering and i dont fancy doing physics at a ldvel, as I know i will mess it up and get a bad grade. Im doing Maths Economics and Chemistry. And the physics exam board is OCR. So guys, can i still get into a top university to do civil engineering degree without physics, and with the subjects i have chosen?
Reply 21
Original post by joseph9299
Guys, I wanna do civil engineering and i dont fancy doing physics at a ldvel, as I know i will mess it up and get a bad grade. Im doing Maths Economics and Chemistry. And the physics exam board is OCR. So guys, can i still get into a top university to do civil engineering degree without physics, and with the subjects i have chosen?

You should check out the entry requirements from universities. Normally you are required 3 A levels including Maths and also a science subject, it doesn't have to be physics, it can also be chemistry for example. Other universities ask for Maths and Physics. This link has the entry requirements for Loughborough University for example, and they don't ask specifically for Physics.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/departments/civil/civil-engineering/
Reply 22
I doubt it.

But then why do you want to do civil engineering without physics? A considerable amount of this course will be physics.

Do you even know what Civil engineering is? It's engineering, so a considerable amount of it will be applied physics and maths... I think most universities would very much like you to have done A-level physics.
Reply 24
Original post by langlitz
Do you even know what Civil engineering is? It's engineering, so a considerable amount of it will be applied physics and maths... I think most universities would very much like you to have done A-level physics.

^This. It's common sense, really.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I will be doing a level biology,chemistry,maths and english lit for a level I feel like I want to do physics instead of english lit but my parents think it would be too much work and that I am good at english lit but physics is quite interesting.Can anyone compare a level maths and physics is well it would be appreciated.

my sister did bio chem physics and maths
I did the last three from that list.
I can say that physics is definitely the easiest. And I would highly recommend taking it.

You should do physics. If you know that you're 100% committed to civil eng then drop the economics and pick physics.

In fact when I started my AS levels I changed from economics to physics after a month because it was boring.
Best decision I've made otherwise I couldn't have got onto the course I'm doing now without it.

Quick Reply

Latest