The Student Room Group

Supermarket jobs

OK, so I've worked P/T at Morrisons for a couple of years, Aldi are opening a new store near me, thought i might give it ago.
Just wanted some input from anyone ho has experience of them?
How does it compare?
I worked at Morrisons for over two years. I applied to Aldi a couple of months ago and I didn't hear anything :frown:

I've heard working at ALDI is really hard work, hence why the pay is so good. They hire a minimum number of staff to do a maximum number of tasks.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Cheers. Any one with experience at Aldi?
Reply 3
randomgirl
I worked at Morrisons for over two years. I applied to Aldi a couple of months ago and I didn't hear anything :frown:

I've heard working at ALDI is really hard work, hence why the pay is so good. They hire a minimum number of staff to do a maximum number of tasks.

Good luck :smile:

You're half way there! Although not the same, I have a friend who's just joined the Graduate Scheme. Pay and benefits are excellent (£39k + Car etc) but then he also has full responsibility for managing 6+ stores which is pretty difficult for a fresh graduate!
Reply 4
Your experience with Morrisons should out you at an advantage.
I can see why you want to leave Morrisons. Place is a dump to work at.
Reply 6
Well I want a bit more experience/ responcibility than I get at Morrisons ATM, and Aldi seem to offer that.
next Question is that it is via CV and not application form.
Any tips/ advice?
Sorry to go a bit off topic but how bad is Morrisons to work at? cos ive seen some horror stories on TSR about them, i was just wondering why they are considered so poorly compared to other supermarkets e.g. Sainsbury's, Asda and Tesco?
Reply 8
Never worked for them personally but know a few people who have, its preyy hard going like its been mentioned and they do expect alot from their staff, not sure what the pay is though.
From what Ive heard Morrisons are awful to work fo so I dont blame you for wanting a change of scenery, Ive had friends who have worked there and had some major problems, especially concerning their wages etc.
Tesco (all stores except for mine!) are pretty good, they have a great 'options' scheme for graduates and if you've got the right attitude (and a bit of balls!) you can work yourself up the ladder pretty quickly.
Tescos are brilliant to work for, or at least my store is. it's easy to get promoted, if you want and the pay is pretty good for most positions.
Reply 10
davireland
Sorry to go a bit off topic but how bad is Morrisons to work at? cos ive seen some horror stories on TSR about them, i was just wondering why they are considered so poorly compared to other supermarkets e.g. Sainsbury's, Asda and Tesco?

awful. they're all for cutting costs left right & centre, which basically means as few staff as they can manage, meaning most of the time you're run off your feet. i don't know anyone who actually likes working there.
Reply 11
Well I've not found it too bad- probably 'cos i do twilight shifts when its pretty quiet- its very rare that I'm too busy, and find that most of the shifts are spent taking it pretty easy :smile: but as I said above, now looking for a bit more of a challenge, so any advice re: CV?
I know it was a while ago but do you remember what your hourly salary was at Morrisons?

Would be extremely helpful. Thank you.
Original post by TheMtlSaint
I know it was a while ago but do you remember what your hourly salary was at Morrisons?

Would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

£6.69 per hour but on Sundays it's time and a half (1.5 x hourly pay) which basically works out as £10 per hour :smile: Hourly wage is a little lower when you first start (£6.40 p/h I think) but this goes up to the normal £6.69 p/h rate after your 13 week probation period.

I've worked part time there for almost 2 and a half years so far and think it's a really good company to work for. They're very accommodating for students like me who can only work on certain days/certain times. Only downside is they do always seem to be understaffed (even though they keep hiring) which means we're really busy/rushed off our feet. :/ (I work in the cafe!)
Original post by broughy
awful. they're all for cutting costs left right & centre, which basically means as few staff as they can manage, meaning most of the time you're run off your feet. i don't know anyone who actually likes working there.

This. 5 people left my department in a year, which has left quite a sizeable gap. Keep getting asked to do overtime. In fact, I'm working until 10pm tonight & starting at 7am tomorrow :frown:

I've applied for a new Asda which is opening near my house soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending