Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student Finance Help?!

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I decided to take a year out after A-levels before heading to university and a lot has happened in that year; my parents are getting a divorce, and my father basically doesn't want anything to do with me or my sisters. As my younger sister is under eighteen, he pays maintenance for her.
    Anyway, it's meant I've started paying the majority of the bills, but when I go to university i'll be living on a maintenance loan and that's not a lot - it covers the cost of commuting and that's about it. I will be working part time as well, but that'll barely be enough.
    Is there any additional help or loans via the Government or Student Finance I can look into? I've started looking into an advanced learner loan as I am over 19, but is there anything else any one can suggest? Thanks!

    You won't get the advanced learner loan and the maintenance loan. If you're from a low income household, you may be entitled to a bursary (which is non-repayable) from the uni.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.