The Student Room Group

to start medical school this month or not

I have a very difficult decision to make and was wondering whether someone could give me some pointers on what I should be thinking about, although I am fully aware I need to make this decision for myself. I need to make a fully informed decision that I am at peace with but I just don't know what to do.

I am a registered pharmacist having just passed my licensing exam this year. When I was 18 I applied to and got into medical school and missed my grades so was absolutely devastated when I didn't get it. I never got over this until the day I passed my final pharmacy licensing exam years later (which happened last month) and it was at this point that I was finally at peace with not getting into medicine. I had always had it in my head that I wanted medicine all the through my pharmaxy training and so when I was fjnally happy with pharmacy things were good and I remember at 18 thinking I wouldn't be happy without medicine.

2015 was my final application to medicine and initially I was rejected from all places. However a few weeks ago one of the schools invited me for interview through a sort of unofficial clearing system. After much deliberation i went for the interview and was told yeaterday that I had got an offer and they want me to start later this month.

I dobt know what to do about this. I don't know whether to accept the offer or decline it. I am a 25 year old Asian woman and all I can think about is that I am going to be 30 by the time I finish the degree and theb there are the foundation years and registrar training. I keep thinking of all the postgraduate exams I would have to do, the long hours, the lack of a work life balance and whether it is even possible to be a doctor in the early years of training and balance this with a famiky life. I am also going to lose a huge amount of money. I also didn't really like he uni that much when I went but that could possibly be due to the campus being empty in the summer.

Despite this there is no other job I want to do. I am so excited at the prospect of studying the functions of the human body and the actual job activities of a doctor are so exciting and exactly what I want. No other job will ever compare - the diagnose and treat people has always and will always be my dream career, no matter whatever politics may be going on at the time. But I feel that to make this decision is not easy at all because I want a family in my early 30s. I don't want to be an absent mother and I wasn't a good work life balance and I'm not sure this is achievable anymore. Can a woman in her early 30s starting out as a doctor have a good work life balance and be able to spend time with their children whilst finishing training in a reasonable amount of time?

This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I feel like the above isn't possible which leads me to think about declining it because I'm not sure I can do the early years training as a qualified doctor while balancing other areas of my life effectively. But if I decline it, leaving medicine behind is absolutely going to break my heart all over again and I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by elsa10
I have a very difficult decision to make and was wondering whether someone could give me some pointers on what I should be thinking about, although I am fully aware I need to make this decision for myself. I need to make a fully informed decision that I am at peace with but I just don't know what to do.

I am a registered pharmacist having just passed my licensing exam this year. When I was 18 I applied to and got into medical school and missed my grades so was absolutely devastated when I didn't get it. I never got over this until the day I passed my final pharmacy licensing exam years later (which happened last month) and it was at this point that I was finally at peace with not getting into medicine. I had always had it in my head that I wanted medicine all the through my pharmaxy training and so when I was fjnally happy with pharmacy things were good and I remember at 18 thinking I wouldn't be happy without medicine.

2015 was my final application to medicine and initially I was rejected from all places. However a few weeks ago one of the schools invited me for interview through a sort of unofficial clearing system. After much deliberation i went for the interview and was told yeaterday that I had got an offer and they want me to start later this month.

I dobt know what to do about this. I don't know whether to accept the offer or decline it. I am a 25 year old Asian woman and all I can think about is that I am going to be 30 by the time I finish the degree and theb there are the foundation years and registrar training. I keep thinking of all the postgraduate exams I would have to do, the long hours, the lack of a work life balance and whether it is even possible to be a doctor in the early years of training and balance this with a famiky life. I am also going to lose a huge amount of money. I also didn't really like he uni that much when I went but that could possibly be due to the campus being empty in the summer.

Despite this there is no other job I want to do. I am so excited at the prospect of studying the functions of the human body and the actual job activities of a doctor are so exciting and exactly what I want. No other job will ever compare - the diagnose and treat people has always and will always be my dream career, no matter whatever politics may be going on at the time. But I feel that to make this decision is not easy at all because I want a family in my early 30s. I don't want to be an absent mother and I wasn't a good work life balance and I'm not sure this is achievable anymore. Can a woman in her early 30s starting out as a doctor have a good work life balance and be able to spend time with their children whilst finishing training in a reasonable amount of time?

This is the hardest decision I have ever had to make. I feel like the above isn't possible which leads me to think about declining it because I'm not sure I can do the early years training as a qualified doctor while balancing other areas of my life effectively. But if I decline it, leaving medicine behind is absolutely going to break my heart all over again and I don't know what to do.

There you have it, you said so yourself, theres no other job you'll be happy with.

Theres never a good time to start a family. You're more than capable of starting a family while at university. I'm a grad entry too, I know people that are married and are starting to think about having children too on my course, so yes, its more than possible to have a good work life balance.
This really is a difficult one. It sounds like you have weighed up the pros and cons of this already. I'd say trying to have a family before your foundation years are over will be a bit of a struggle but it is doable. I know of a few medical students who have started families while still medical students. Do you have a supportive partner and have you discussed this with them?
It sounds like you're just having jitters before you go through with a major change in your life. It also sounds clear that you've had your heart set on medicine for years. You sound extremely diligent and reflective which are excellent traits in medicine, and I'm sure you'll be a great doctor. Everything else will fall into place around that central goal. Good luck at med school and for your future career!
Reply 4
Original post by elsa10

First of all, whatever happens, Congratulations on getting the offer!

This is a decision only you can make but from what I've read, you're going to have to accept. Believe me, I understand that there is no other job you want to do and I don't think you'll ever feel happy if you don't accept.

I'm a similar age to you and although don't already have a degree, I've worked and made a success of myself to the point where I know I already make more money than I most probably ever will as a doctor, but again, I just can't see myself doing what I'm doing now or anything else for the rest of my life.

I can understand your concerns regarding starting a family. Timed right, it may not be as much of an issue as you expect. You could try after your foundation years which would make it around age 32 but as Freyr said, it's not uncommon to do this before. With regards to work-life balance, that's something for you to do. It's possible, it just depends how you make it work and what you do to ensure that you have this balance. Of course it's going to be challenging, but isn't everything that's worth doing?

It's funny you post this today. I was thinking of posing this question in the med students forum to ask what the current students think about a strong desire to study medicine but not actually wanting to want to. If that makes sense!

My advice is that instead of thinking too much of the future, think about what you want now. And from what I've read, you need to study medicine. Everything else will fall into place around this.

The TSR community is here if you need more help! Throw us your concerns and thoughts and we'll do what can to help! Do you have someone close to discuss this with? A family member, close friend? It can help to air your thoughts and get someone else's perspective to clear things up sometimes.

Knowing how hard a decision like this is, I really do wish you all the best with this choice and the future!
Reply 5
Original post by elsa10

Despite this there is no other job I want to do.

That's your answer. The uni is temporary, you don't have to love it but you will end up liking it! The money is a temporary loss, you will earn it back. The job you do is for life, if you pick the right one.

If there really is no other job you would rather do, I would go for it. I am starting medicine in a couple weeks and I am so excited!
Go for it.

Worst case - it isn't for you and you drop out.

30 isn't bad. Just do it. BE A DOCTOR!!
Reply 7
I'm the mother of a med student. From the perspective of an older person I'd say that I have many more regrets about the things I didn't do in life, or opportunities I didn't take up, than any I did, however challenging.*

I didn't start my family until I was 33 and then combined children with a demanding job, sometimes working part time. *These things are always possible.

Try to project forward 10 years. How will you feel if you turned down this chance? * Always a sense of what might have been?

From what you e said you may have regrets if you didn't seize this chance. Good luck. *
If you have a decent support network it's entirely possible to juggle being a student with being a mum, even if you don't have help it is possible with loans/benefits/daycare and good time management. If you wait until after studying to have children you will always have the option of less than full time training and paid maternity leave. It will take you a fair bit longer to CCT/GP but it means you would be no more absent in your children's lives than most other working parents.

If you want decent anecdotes, read "So you want to be a Medical Mum". It's a book full of first hand accounts, advice and info.
Think long and hard about training in a country that hates doctors.
Original post by Etomidate

It hasn't impacted me much. People hate doctors until they need them.

As long as you can cope with rolling your eyes at the media, then it doesn't affect day to day practice.
Original post by Etomidate

It put me off giving it a shot
Research scientist for the win >.>
Reply 12
Thank you so so much for your input. However in sill panicking about this and I really feel as if I am going round and round in circles.

One of my major issues is that I am mentally exhausted from my pharmacy training. If I I am completely honest I feel so tired of studying and then I think to myself that this doesn't bode well for the future because when I think of a medical career, there will be many exams for years to come. I keep thinking that I'm going to spend the best years of my life studying and because I am so tired I'm just not sure if I can cope with the revision and the stress for so long. I just don't know if I cope.

It feels like I want medicine so much and I want to be a doctor so much but I don't know if I physically and mentally can undergo the stress and exams. I spent 6 months on A andE as a pharmacist and hated it because of the stress which worries me even more. I'm just so confused. And I'm not sure that I will like the actual university due to the fact that it is in the middle of nowhere and so far from home (5hours).

In the future I just think that I want a relatively low stress job and I want a work life balance - I think it would be amazing to work as a gp for 2 - 3 days a week. But I don't know whether this is possible in medicine. I honestly feel like I've got this offer 2 or 3 years too late in my life. I dont even know whether these are nervous jitters before a major life change or major issues that I seriously need to consider. I just don't know what to do or how I am going to make this decision even though I need to be able to make this for myself.
Reply 13
Thank you so much for all of your advice so far. However I am still in a quandary and I just don't know how I am going to make a decision on this although I am well aware that I need to make the decision myself.

Part of the problem is that I am so mentally exhausted from my pharmacy training and I'm not sure I can do the necessary exams. I am worried that these years are the best years of my life and I would have spent them all studying. I just don't know whether I can actually cope with the stress of studying for the exams not only for the degree but the whole career too. Ive always thought that medicine is physically and emotionally demanding and the career in some respects is a lifestyle choice and I just don't know whether I can deal with the stress, long hours and no work life balance.

When I think about my future life I want a relatively low stress job that challenges me but allows me to have a work life balance. Is this still possible from medicine at my age? Medicine is a stressful career and i just don't know whether I can cope with the stress anymore because pharmaxy and my subsequent hospital training has taken everything out of me.

My other worry is that I am not too keen on the university - it is 5hours away from home and is in the middle of nowhere with not much going. I definitely would never consider it for any other course than medicine and I only applied there because of my stats and hat my app matched what they were looking for

I want to be a doctor so much but I don't know whether I can cope with it now because if this offer and come through 2-3 years ago I definitely would have accepted without hesitation.
Reply 14
Original post by elsa10
Thank you so much for all of your advice so far. However I am still in a quandary and I just don't know how I am going to make a decision on this although I am well aware that I need to make the decision myself.

Part of the problem is that I am so mentally exhausted from my pharmacy training and I'm not sure I can do the necessary exams. I am worried that these years are the best years of my life and I would have spent them all studying. I just don't know whether I can actually cope with the stress of studying for the exams not only for the degree but the whole career too. Ive always thought that medicine is physically and emotionally demanding and the career in some respects is a lifestyle choice and I just don't know whether I can deal with the stress, long hours and no work life balance.

When I think about my future life I want a relatively low stress job that challenges me but allows me to have a work life balance. Is this still possible from medicine at my age? Medicine is a stressful career and i just don't know whether I can cope with the stress anymore because pharmaxy and my subsequent hospital training has taken everything out of me.

My other worry is that I am not too keen on the university - it is 5hours away from home and is in the middle of nowhere with not much going. I definitely would never consider it for any other course than medicine and I only applied there because of my stats and hat my app matched what they were looking for

I want to be a doctor so much but I don't know whether I can cope with it now because if this offer and come through 2-3 years ago I definitely would have accepted without hesitation.

Do remember that this isn't a prison sentence. Please don't overthink this - you seem so certain you want to be a doctor that it would seem to be a terrible mistake to refuse this opportunity.

Take up the place, but tell yourself that you're giving it a year to see how it goes. At the end of the year you can make a decision as to whether or not to continue. I wouldn't normally recommend this - but it will take you out of this awful circle where you're trying to think 7 years ahead.

If you do drop out then you'll have the satisfaction of having tried, and you'll never be left wondering what if. And you'll have spent just a year's worth of fees etc. But if you stay on the. It was clearly the right decision.*
Reply 15
Original post by Mother2
Do remember that this isn't a prison sentence. Please don't overthink this - you seem so certain you want to be a doctor that it would seem to be a terrible mistake to refuse this opportunity.

Take up the place, but tell yourself that you're giving it a year to see how it goes. At the end of the year you can make a decision as to whether or not to continue. I wouldn't normally recommend this - but it will take you out of this awful circle where you're trying to think 7 years ahead.

If you do drop out then you'll have the satisfaction of having tried, and you'll never be left wondering what if. And you'll have spent just a year's worth of fees etc. But if you stay on the. It was clearly the right decision.*

Thank you for explaining your background to me in your other post which is reassuring. I know that you are asking me to remember this is a prison sentence but then studying for all of those exams for a minimum of 10 years feels like a prison sentence on top of the years I have done already. I think of the alternative to medicine which is my pharmacy career and I could progress in it and not be quite as happy as I would be as a doctor but surely I would get my life satisfaction from my children and other things in my life? I used to think medicine was the be all and end all and it has taken me 7 years to realise that my life satisfaction doesn't solely come from my job and it definitely does not solely come from medicine (which I thought it did when I was a naive immature teenager). Sometimes I wonder whether I have been trying to talk myself out of going for fear of the Unknown. Never in my life have I been so indecisive about something.*
Reply 16
Original post by elsa10
Thank you for explaining your background to me in your other post which is reassuring. I know that you are asking me to remember this is a prison sentence but then studying for all of those exams for a minimum of 10 years feels like a prison sentence on top of the years I have done already. I think of the alternative to medicine which is my pharmacy career and I could progress in it and not be quite as happy as I would be as a doctor but surely I would get my life satisfaction from my children and other things in my life? I used to think medicine was the be all and end all and it has taken me 7 years to realise that my life satisfaction doesn't solely come from my job and it definitely does not solely come from medicine (which I thought it did when I was a naive immature teenager). Sometimes I wonder whether I have been trying to talk myself out of going for fear of the Unknown. Never in my life have I been so indecisive about something.*

@Mother2 I'd normally never advise anyone to start with the thought of possibly dropping out before even starting! BUT, I think this is one of the few times which that seems to be the only/best option available.

@elsa10 You can start and see how you get on with studying again. See if it interests you enough that you're motivated enough to continue. Or if you're so drained that year 1 takes it out of you, you know it's no longer for you and it's time to drop out.

Either way, you'll know you gave it a go and never have that regret that you didn't even try.

You always have your pharmacy degree and career to fall back on. The only loss would be the £9k in tuition fees which only you'll know if you can afford and if it would be worth it to assuage your concerns.

That's personally the route I'd take.

Again good luck and do let us know how you choose to proceed!
Reply 17
What did you decide? *Good luck whatever your decision.*
Reply 18
Original post by Mother2
What did you decide? *Good luck whatever your decision.*

Thank you for your input. I have decided that the only logical thing to do in this situation is to give it a go and see how I feel either in a few months time or at the end of year 1.

Despite this I have an incredibly unsettling feeling inside of me - maybe it is the fear of the unknown or the fact that I am giving up a good job with good pay to turn my life upside and become a student again. I am still very worried and uneasy about the loss of my earnings for 5 years and whether the risk I am taking is going to pay off. People in my generation can't even afford a mortgage for their first home and yet I on the other hand am giving up my salary for 5 years and probably won't see a financial payoff for this.

I just hope and pray to God that I get some perspective during the next year. I feel as if I'm blind and lost in my life and don't really know what I'm doing.

The only thing I am certain about is that I hate my current job and cannot do it forever but losing my salary is a major thing for me to come to terms with
Reply 19
Original post by JayAhm
@Mother2 I'd normally never advise anyone to start with the thought of possibly dropping out before even starting! BUT, I think this is one of the few times which that seems to be the only/best option available.

@elsa10 You can start and see how you get on with studying again. See if it interests you enough that you're motivated enough to continue. Or if you're so drained that year 1 takes it out of you, you know it's no longer for you and it's time to drop out.

Either way, you'll know you gave it a go and never have that regret that you didn't even try.

You always have your pharmacy degree and career to fall back on. The only loss would be the £9k in tuition fees which only you'll know if you can afford and if it would be worth it to assuage your concerns.

That's personally the route I'd take.

Again good luck and do let us know how you choose to proceed!

Thank you do much for this message. This is now the route that I am going to take it because although I personally think i wouldn't regret it, I don't know how I will feel in one years time or 5 or 10 and my close family and friends seem to think I eventually will regret not going and at least trying it.

This is not to say that I still don't have serious concerns about going (see my above response to mother2). I do still wonder whether I am making the right decision but that is more to do with the loss of my salary more than anything else and then not knowing whether medicine will definitely makenme happy in the future. It's a big gamble and there's a risk it won't work out for me. I just know that I don't want to carry on in my current job whatsoever and apart from medical school I have nothing else planned... Being a doctor has always and will always be my dream but I don't know how much the dream matches up to reality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending