The Student Room Group

Training contract chances?

Hello everyone!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thanks a lot. I got AAAA at a-level and it was a vac scheme at a top US firm which I obtained by applying with a CV and cover letter, then a short interview in person. So which types of firms shall I aim for?
Thank you very much! Much appreciated. Are you also applying for a training contract? Also, any advice for commercial awareness? I keep up with WSJ, and the business section of the guardian etc but it all seems vague. Do you think a subscription to FT is worth the money? I've heard very good thinks about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, thanks a lot. Which free resources would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by aspriringlawyer
Thank you very much! Much appreciated. Are you also applying for a training contract? Also, any advice for commercial awareness? I keep up with WSJ, and the business section of the guardian etc but it all seems vague. Do you think a subscription to FT is worth the money? I've heard very good thinks about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ayy fellow KCL student, the university provides free access to the FT through institutional login. There is some good content on YouTube aswell such as the Financial Times and Bloomberg.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by aspriringlawyer

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the FT - I find it's a love/hate thing. I'd buy it one time from WHSmiths or something when you have a long train journey and have a read through it, then decide on a subscription after.

Everyone I know either really hates it or really likes it. I really like it and it's actually the only paper I read (besides BBC news app on my phone). It gives good insights into various commercial issues and you can follow issues week to week. A lot of firms use it for their commercial exercises as well - HL in their most recent AC had a commercial interview where you were given a short passage to read and certain questions about it in the interview - who are the stakeholders, etc. There was a detailed piece on it in the FT that same day.

It's ultimately preference, but some people seem to think it's quite dry and perhaps boring at times, but I'd say it's a useful resource.
The FT and economist are good to read to get up to speed with issues and if you search the homepage you can find loads of other relevant niche stuff which you probably wouldn't have searched for that are worth reading and which will improve your understanding. I would say the FT Is more accessible for the average uni student as although the economist is good, it does have a lot of stuff which is pretty abstract and which you might not find relevant. Ft articles are shorter and more concise and you can get fastFT of one minute videos which can help a lot. Another good site is investopedia although that is pretty technical and more to do with finance and definitions. The one thing that can get a bit annoying/repetitive by the FT and economist is their constant pro eu bias and trump bashing although I guess those traditional audiences are probably disgusted by exiting the eu and having trump as president lol. A lot of unis have a subscription already to the FT, and there is usually a link for it on the page you sign into MUSE/MOLE which isn't always highly publicised. Failing that, your uni library should have a news stand where you can get The Times or The Guardian newspapers to read, and those will tell you a lot of stuff going on politics/the world as well as having comprehensive business sections, and I am guessing all unis will have this
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Hi,

I am applying for the GDL via distance learning at BPP for the January intake which will finish in September 2018!

What are my chances of gaining a training contract if I apply now? - I have looked around and some are still open in my area for 2018.

I have a First Class degree in Nursing (mental health), In addition, I have experience with working/liaising with solicitors and being involved with appeals and tribunals through my work. Furthermore, I volunteered for victim support for 3 years.

Any suggestions or advice would be great, thanks.

L_Jane

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
You won't be eligible for 2018 TCs if your GDL doesn't finish until September 2018. As you need to then complete the LPC, and that will take a minimum of 7 months, you'd need to look at 2019 vacancies.

Thanks for your reply.

However, I was under the impression that some firms take you on with GDL and you undertake LPC whilst undertaking the training contract?

L_Jane
All JSP's advice excellent. Just figure out where you are on the food chain and pitch appropriately. Obviously you arent at the top, but nor at the bottom either. It helps a bit you went to KCL, but not a dealmaker as there will be others who went to equally or more prestigious unis. Focus on te bits of your application you cna do something about.
Original post by L.Jane
Thanks for your reply.

However, I was under the impression that some firms take you on with GDL and you undertake LPC whilst undertaking the training contract?

L_Jane

If you get a TC you wont start it until you have finished the GDL and the LPC.
That doesnt mean you cant sign a contract for a start date some time in the future. I would get a TC before I started GDL so they pay. JSP is cirrect you would be looking at the 2019 intake at earliest. Target your apps and make sure you have some relevant experience in the type of firm you want to work and and are applying to.

Hang in there its a long road.
(edited 7 years ago)
thank you so much! you just saved me a lot of pocket money haha
thank you!!
Original post by 999tigger
If you get a TC you wont start it until you have finished the GDL and the LPC.
That doesnt mean you cant sign a contract for a start date some time in the future. I would get a TC before I started GDL so they pay. JSP is cirrect you would be looking at the 2019 intake at earliest. Target your apps and make sure you have some relevant experience in the type of firm you want to work and and are applying to.

Hang in there its a long road.

Hi, this is not entirely true. I have started my TC and my LPC doesn't start until 24th September which is in two weeks. I will be doing both at the same time. However it is important to note that my firm is a local firm in a town and not a city firm so this might make a difference.
Original post by sydneyfox
Hi, this is not entirely true. I have started my TC and my LPC doesn't start until 24th September which is in two weeks. I will be doing both at the same time. However it is important to note that my firm is a local firm in a town and not a city firm so this might make a difference.

The person is applying for top commercial and American firms. Larger firms tend to have a more formal and organised TC structure. I think you are the exception. JSP pointed out there are meant to be some apprenticeships where you cna do the TC on the job, but they are very new and I expect very rare. The OP simply needs to get a TC and it would mae little difference as to when it started. The important thing to tap into is finance. Did they pay for your GDL?
Original post by J-SP
Not applying - I'm an ex recruiter.

I don't think a subscription to the FT is needed. There are plenty of other free resources you could use that would be suitable. But I might be biased - I find the FT too dry and technical at times.

Main thing about commercial awareness is not learning factual content but analysing the information presented and thinking about why it happened and what potential consequences could be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi JSP, can I PM you for some application advice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending