The Student Room Group

What extra stuff do I need to do to get in from a semi-target?

If I went to somewhere like kcl, what would I need to do to get a spring week that a target person doesn't need to do? How can I get a spring week from a semi-target- as in what extra things do I need to show? For s&t
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by biglad2k16
If I went to somewhere like kcl, what would I need to do to get a spring week that a target person doesn't need to do? How can I get a spring week from a semi-target- as in what extra things do I need to show?

More networking, better ECs, more work experience
You got to be amazing basically
you need a little more luck
Everything
Reply 4
Just put UCL on your CV. If they find out, just tell them it was a typo and you meant KCL.
Reply 5
Original post by Turing
Just put UCL on your CV. If they find out, just tell them it was a typo and you meant KCL.

Banks aren't going to hire someone who makes typos on their CV.
There's nothing you should be doing that people at targets don't have to, everyone needs work experience, ECs etc.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
There's nothing you should be doing that people at targets don't have to, everyone needs work experience, ECs etc.

Yeah but people at semi-targets do have to make themselves stand out more. Some 'average' people who go to targets get selected but from semi-targets,myoo do have to differentiate yourself a bit more.
Original post by Ladbants
Yeah but people at semi-targets do have to make themselves stand out more. Some 'average' people who go to targets get selected but from semi-targets,myoo do have to differentiate yourself a bit more.
Based on what? I know several people from semi targets that did multiple spring weeks and didn't have any relevant experience or much work experience at all.
Based on what? I know several people from semi targets that did multiple spring weeks and didn't have any relevant experience or much work experience at all.

This is tru.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

But in most cases, an average applicant from a target would be preferred to an average applicant from a semi-target so the semi target guy does have to do more to stand out
But in most cases, an average applicant from a target would be preferred to an average applicant from a semi-target so the semi target guy does have to do more to stand out
Any statistics to back that up?
Any statistics to back that up?

So what's the point of going to a target then? If one could just go to a semi and stand the same chance? I'm not trying to argue with you but it baffles me

There are loads of statistics that show that most people in banking from the six target universities and those give you the best chance of getting into banking
(edited 7 years ago)

Yh, but that's only in theory. In practice it's quite different, and doesn't always neatly fit into: target students have x% more likelihood than semi-target students.. At the end of the day, someone at a semi-target where a bank targets that school and a school that is typically a 'target' won't have much difficulty given both schools are on the 'look out for' list anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what's the point of going to a target then? If one could just go to a semi and stand the same chance? I'm not trying to argue with you but it baffles me

There are loads of statistics that show that most people in banking from the six target universities and those give you the best chance of getting into banking

More firms target the target uno, and more students will be interested in banking.. and more alumni will be in banking

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes a target? All the banks hold events at them and there's more support for applications and knowledge from the finance societies, if those are things someone thinks they can make best use out of to increase their chances then they'll go to a target.

But to say that someone going there inherently increases their chances just because they have a target school at the top of their CV is wrong. These statistics say that most people in banking come from target schools but they are misleading on the most basic level; you can't conclude from them that merely going to a target increases your chances.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending