The Student Room Group

Don't know if I want to leave :(

So I applied it queens Belfast to do BIT but missed the grades. I didn't work hard enough I know it for a fact. So I went through clearing and got a place to do Business management at LJMU. Obviously it means moving to Liverpool and I'm really scared and sad. I never thought I'd be leaving. Most of my friends are in Belfast and some going to England and I had my heart set on going there. It's like i feel ill go over and just be like "well it's not Belfast". Is Liverpool better than belfast? I've heard LJMU is a great uni and Liverpool is an amazing city. Just gonna be sad leaving and dunno what to do.
@Airmed You're the only Northern Irish student I know that is studying on the mainland so I've copied you in, maybe you can offer the OP some advice on leaving home?
Reply 2
Original post by Georgelizmera
So I applied it queens Belfast to do BIT but missed the grades. I didn't work hard enough I know it for a fact. So I went through clearing and got a place to do Business management at LJMU. Obviously it means moving to Liverpool and I'm really scared and sad. I never thought I'd be leaving. Most of my friends are in Belfast and some going to England and I had my heart set on going there. It's like i feel ill go over and just be like "well it's not Belfast". Is Liverpool better than belfast? I've heard LJMU is a great uni and Liverpool is an amazing city. Just gonna be sad leaving and dunno what to do.

Hiya,

I'm from Derry and I moved to Dundee to go to uni. I know how you feel. It was a rather scary move but I think it's been a great experience. :h:

First, remember, Belfast isn't the end all and be all. Just remember that. :h: Liverpool is a great city and if you ever feel homesick you can fly home easily. :yep:

Secondly, you will be able to make friends at Liverpool in classes and societies. Just cause you won't be in Belfast that doesn't mean you won't stop being friends with the people going there. Facebook, whatsapp and Skype are brilliant. Spreading my wings away from N.I has been quite an experience and I've enjoyed it. I've been homesick though and that's not been nice but after a while it did ago away. Throwing yourself into the uni experience will help with the homesickness. :yep:

Really, I would honestly view this as an opportunity to gain even more independence from your parents. I know it's a proper habit in Belfast for people to go home at the weekends and get their washing done there. I know that unfortunately Liverpool was never in the plans however I really hope you don't go into viewing it negatively.

If you ever need anything, please PM me. :h:

Cesca
Original post by Airmed
Hiya,

I'm from Derry and I moved to Dundee to go to uni. I know how you feel. It was a rather scary move but I think it's been a great experience. :h:

First, remember, Belfast isn't the end all and be all. Just remember that. :h: Liverpool is a great city and if you ever feel homesick you can fly home easily. :yep:

Secondly, you will be able to make friends at Liverpool in classes and societies. Just cause you won't be in Belfast that doesn't mean you won't stop being friends with the people going there. Facebook, whatsapp and Skype are brilliant. Spreading my wings away from N.I has been quite an experience and I've enjoyed it. I've been homesick though and that's not been nice but after a while it did ago away. Throwing yourself into the uni experience will help with the homesickness. :yep:

Really, I would honestly view this as an opportunity to gain even more independence from your parents. I know it's a proper habit in Belfast for people to go home at the weekends and get their washing done there. I know that unfortunately Liverpool was never in the plans however I really hope you don't go into viewing it negatively.

If you ever need anything, please PM me. :h:

Cesca

I really appreciate that. I know I can come home a lot and everyone says that after a while I won't want to come home! I've heard a lot of good things about Liverpool. Just with everyone going to Belfast it's hard like I kinda feel left out almost?
Reply 4

Liverpool is a great place to live trust me I used to live in the North West and lived near to Liverpool and visited the city occasionally for shopping and stuff and it's a great place. I have never been to Belfast though so can't comment. Everybody moves to different places for University and I guess that's part of getting a degree and I am soon you will soon start liking the place.
Reply 5
I really appreciate that. I know I can come home a lot and everyone says that after a while I won't want to come home! I've heard a lot of good things about Liverpool. Just with everyone going to Belfast it's hard like I kinda feel left out almost?

I know what you mean. So many people in my year went to Queen's. It's a very N.Irish thing to do.

Quick Reply

Latest