The Student Room Group

i think im going to fail my science gcse

i just started yr 11 and i am really worried about my GCSE levels i study and try my best but my grades are really poor in science especially my overall grade in science is an E.I dont know what to do anymore i really want to pass my GCSE and go to a good college but this wont be happening because of my grades im so ashamed of my levels. nothing is helping me. my mum wants me to do really well and pass as so do i. i am quite a slow learner and it takes me time to memorise things but i just really want to pass at the end of the year with a C
do you think its possibe
please give your thoughts and opinions
thankyou
Original post by amzy12345
i just started yr 11 and i am really worried about my GCSE levels i study and try my best but my grades are really poor in science especially my overall grade in science is an E.I dont know what to do anymore i really want to pass my GCSE and go to a good college but this wont be happening because of my grades im so ashamed of my levels. nothing is helping me. my mum wants me to do really well and pass as so do i. i am quite a slow learner and it takes me time to memorise things but i just really want to pass at the end of the year with a C
do you think its possibe
thankyou

I did AQA triple science, so did chemistry, biology and physics. I was always getting d's. I got BBC in my GCSE's in the end. It is definitely possible! I find copying out information helps me most with revision, and so on study leave I made really long power points with all the information I needed to know.
Throughout the rest of this year: if you are able to, buy a couple of textbooks, it's really useful to learn from textbooks rather than your own notes which may be lacking in information. Everyone says this but past papers really are useful - especially for checking up on what you know and what you don't know, but don't make them the sole focus of your revision. And get some help from your teacher, they are the one that's going to know how to help and how to get you that C!
Reply 2
You will not. Believe me. The most advantageous thing about science is that you don't need to specifically smart at it at GCSE. Just revise and the results will follow. This was exactly how I was feeling in year 10. I was getting Ds and Es, and in the end I got As.
Reply 3
Original post by epage
I did AQA triple science, so did chemistry, biology and physics. I was always getting d's. I got BBC in my GCSE's in the end. It is definitely possible! I find copying out information helps me most with revision, and so on study leave I made really long power points with all the information I needed to know.
Throughout the rest of this year: if you are able to, buy a couple of textbooks, it's really useful to learn from textbooks rather than your own notes which may be lacking in information. Everyone says this but past papers really are useful - especially for checking up on what you know and what you don't know, but don't make them the sole focus of your revision. And get some help from your teacher, they are the one that's going to know how to help and how to get you that C!

thanks for your help. so you think i should copy stuff out a textbook which im not sure about and then learn them bit by bit out loud.
do you think its possibe
thankyou

Dw work hard and find a tutor
I mean tutoring really helps I was at an F at the start to middle of yr10 for physics and got a looowww D in my December mock in yr11 I found a tutor 2 months before exams and in 7 weeks ( 1 hour a week of tutoring) of hardwork and tutoring which consisted of past papers (I think I did 4 or 5) I confidently did p1,2,3 and then p4,5,6 in June.... I came out with an A....this is just to say never think it is too late to turn things around Physics seemed to me a punishment but I pulled through just believe in yourself and you're half the way there!!!
I had similar journey with maths but started at a low D u could even call it an E in year 9 and yr 10 I'd always had a dream of passing maths because anything more seemed impossible a little tutoring and hardwork and I got an A
Id recommend lots of past papers nearer to exams once u have covered content- I know this all sounds cliche - I certainly thought that but it actually works. Also start doing a little revision every night from now but not more than u can handle ( maybe an hour a day ) else you'll burn out by the time exams come along
Good luck
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Starlight2000
Dw work hard and find a tutor
I mean tutoring really helps I was at an F at the start to middle of yr10 for physics and got a looowww D in my December mock in yr11 I found a tutor 2 months before exams and in 7 weeks ( 1 hour a week of tutoring) of hardwork and tutoring which consisted of past papers (I think I did 4 or 5) I confidently did p1,2,3 and then p4,5,6 in June.... I came out with an A....this is just to say never think it is too late to turn things around Physics seemed to me a punishment but I pulled through just believe in yourself and you're half the way there!!!
I had similar journey with maths but started at a low D u could even call it an E in year 9 and yr 10 I'd always had a dream of passing maths because anything more seemed impossible a little tutoring and hardwork and I got an A
Id recommend lots of past papers nearer to exams once u have covered content- I know this all sounds cliche - I certainly thought that but it actually works. Also start doing a little revision every night from now but not more than u can handle ( maybe an hour a day ) else you'll burn out by the time exams come along
Good luck

hey thanks for your response i got a tutor for maths and its really helping me but i dont quite have time for a tutor for physics so i hope revision every night for physics at home might help what do you think
hey thanks for your response i got a tutor for maths and its really helping me but i dont quite have time for a tutor for physics so i hope revision every night for physics at home might help what do you think

Your welcome 😌
It definitely will
But to aid your revison (and for free) watch loads of physics revison videos on YouTube - apparently mysciencelessons have now got to be bought but there are loads of his videos uploaded on YouTube. Also, buy a cgp guide if you haven't already but if you're doing ocr gateway there is a better textbook out there just look online on Amazon or even eBay- it isn't hard to find you just type in October gateway physics GCSEs textbook and it's a thick blue book- a little pricey but definitely worth it :smile:
Good luck with your exams
yes. in year 11 i was on a u in chemistry and an e in both biology and physics. in the end i got an a in biology and chemistry and a b in physics. anything is possible
do you think its possibe
thankyou

Hey don't worry, you've got plenty of time to turn things around! I was struggling to get my predicted grades in the sciences most of the way through year 11 until I found (for me anyway!) the best way to revise. I recommend:

1) Print off the specifications! These are so useful. It tells you exactly what you need to know and misses out a lot of the waffle that revision guides and textbooks include. I wrote my notes using the specification so I only learnt what I had to know.

2) Past papers. I would advise saving these for nearer the time but they are so useful. Study the mark schemes after as they often repeat questions every couple of years. I took my GCSE science this year and they had almost exactly the same question as on the past papers.

Best of luck, if you work hard anything is possible. With hard work I managed to get A*A*A* in my Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE's just by using the above methods.
Reply 9
Original post by amyjf
Hey don't worry, you've got plenty of time to turn things around! I was struggling to get my predicted grades in the sciences most of the way through year 11 until I found (for me anyway!) the best way to revise. I recommend:

1) Print off the specifications! These are so useful. It tells you exactly what you need to know and misses out a lot of the waffle that revision guides and textbooks include. I wrote my notes using the specification so I only learnt what I had to know.

2) Past papers. I would advise saving these for nearer the time but they are so useful. Study the mark schemes after as they often repeat questions every couple of years. I took my GCSE science this year and they had almost exactly the same question as on the past papers.

Best of luck, if you work hard anything is possible. With hard work I managed to get A*A*A* in my Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE's just by using the above methods.

thank you so much for your advice it was really helpful and yes definitely i agree about the past papers they help alot. thanks for your time
Reply 10
Original post by lostintrnslation
yes. in year 11 i was on a u in chemistry and an e in both biology and physics. in the end i got an a in biology and chemistry and a b in physics. anything is possible

hey what did you do to move up so high
hey what did you do to move up so high

i was made to go to extra chemistry sessions twice a week for a couple of months, i learned all of the biology stuff myself using past papers and flashcards on quizlet, and i honestly don't know how i got a b in physics bc i literally didn't know any of the answers to the second exam.

Quick Reply

Latest