The Student Room Group

Does France have unisex changing and showers?

I heard this somewhere. I haven't been to France since 2001 and when I was younger. I want to go again. Is this true? If so, they must be a lot more liberated and have utterly different attitudes. I would suspect it's a rumour....

Do they have topless beaches and if so is this specified according to region?
(edited 7 years ago)
Places are different. Most places have cubicles that can used by both genders, a lot of clubs and bars have shared toilets but there is usually staff so you shouldn't worry.

Most beaches i've been to i've seen women topless and people are not bothered by it.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
I heard this somewhere. I haven't been to France since 2001 and when I was younger. I want to go again. Is this true? If so, they must be a lot more liberated and have utterly different attitudes. I would suspect it's a rumour....

Not afaik but they're certainly a lot less prudish, female cleaners will mop around a urinal while you're using it.
Original post by LonelyDemon
Places are different. Most places have cubicles that can used by both genders, a lot of clubs and bars have shared toilets but there is usually staff so you shouldn't worry.

Most beaches i've been to i've seen women topless and people are not bothered by it.

Huh? I'm not worried, and I'm male btw. I'm just curious as I heard the rumour.
I actually find it a really liberating, human idea. I like the idea of men and women being comfortable together and I like the liberated ideas about nudity in some parts of Europe. I guess France is still comfortable with toplessness, but not the muslim community? Again I like this, being honest, not because, as some feminists would say, I'm a perv, just because I think it's great people are comfortable like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

Where? swimming pools? clubs? other public buildings?
Original post by JamesN88
Not afaik but they're certainly a lot less prudish, female cleaners will mop around a urinal while you're using it.

is that a fact?
Original post by Kutie Karen
is that a fact?

Yep, however I don't know if they all do.

Maybe the one that did was just a perv(Not that I really minded :colondollar:).
Sounds really weird that you can't have privacy .
Reply 8
It wasn't so long ago that you could find pissoirs on public street corners in France. Apparently at some of the less-encumbered structures, gentlemen might raise their hats to greet female passers-by.
Reply 9
Customs vary-- I was told that in Berlin, maybe in the airport, there was a spa with saunas where attendance was expected to be in the nude. There were two chambers: all-female, and co-ed.
Original post by Camilli
Customs vary-- I was told that in Berlin, maybe in the airport, there was a spa with saunas where attendance was expected to be in the nude. There were two chambers: all-female, and co-ed.

It's the same in Austria and the Czech Republic I've been told.

Like you say customs vary, when I went to Andorra the hotel staff were really surprised that me and my Dad wanted a twin room and wouldn't be sharing a double bed. We had to almost demand it. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Camilli
It wasn't so long ago that you could find pissoirs on public street corners in France. Apparently at some of the less-encumbered structures, gentlemen might raise their hats to greet female passers-by.

I swear I went to Boulogne 23 years ago, and they had them then.
Original post by Camilli

In Berlin there are several spas. Everyone was nude in the one I went to, which had several saunas, steamrooms and two swimming pools. Loved the outdoor pool on a sunny day. More than half the people there were women.
Original post by barnetlad
In Berlin there are several spas. Everyone was nude in the one I went to, which had several saunas, steamrooms and two swimming pools. Loved the outdoor pool on a sunny day. More than half the people there were women.

OK, the main questions I want to ask are -

Is it like this in France/Spain/Italy/Poland etc?(any knowledge anyone has?)

Are there any communal showers in these countries in hostels, or swimming pools, campsites etc.

The only time I would have a problem is with families and kids, I do not think it's appropriate nor wish to mix in showers or changing rooms like that.

I saw one thing about France that I couldn't quite understand, but it seemed to suggest a pool had 4 changing/shower rooms, so this might be men, women, families, and mixed adults?

I do think the idea of adults just being comfortable with their bodies, and open together is rather liberating and also foreign enough to be an education.

I haven't been to the continent since 2001, and that was Paris and a hotel.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest