The Student Room Group

I've decided to DROP a LEVEL 3 Extended Diploma and instead resit and take GCSEs!!

Have I made a good choice by dropping a level 3 extended diploma which is the equivalent to 3 A levels to do my GCSEs this year instead? I then plan to do A levels from next year after having sorted my GCSE grades out but this year I'll focus on getting good GCSE grades. Have I made the right choice considering my GCSE grades were really bad (less than 5)?
Reply 1
Super brave bro! But, if you know that your GCSE grades will hinder your future chances at doing A-level or even uni. Then go for it. We'll all be here to be supportive.

Can I ask how you plan to do this, with a school or self teaching?
Good call dude .I'm kinda in the same boat as you so I will be interested in the updates
I don't quite understand what do u mean by which one will u go for
I'm resiting mine as a betec will get me nowhere
Reply 5
Original post by Inspiringvisons
I'm resiting mine as a betec will get me nowhere

OK good luck!! Is it with a college?
OP I would be interested in what your GCSE grades were given that you have been accepted onto a level 3 course ... which requires the appropriate mix of level 2 awards to get onto ...
Original post by Kryptonian
I got 3 GCSEs. Maths (B), chemistry (B), physics (C).

Biology was at a grade D but that was due to getting a U in B3 which was a unit that we were not taught and I was unable to revise it and had some other problems during exam time that I've not mentioned to anyone.

The course required 5 A*-C but I was given it anyway because I persuaded them to let me do the A levels but they couldn't do that so they offered this since my science grades aren't too bad and I seemed really committed

IMO you shouldn;t have been let on that course , you need to get 5 or more GCSEs at a*-c to progress to level 3
If you are set for A levels, resit GCSE's at that college you found.

I think that is the best option

Good luck
Reply 9
Original post by Blackstarr
If you are set for A levels, resit GCSE's at that college you found.

I think that is the best option

Good luck

Thanks!
No i'm taking a gap year and resiting privately
Reply 11
Original post by Inspiringvisons
No i'm taking a gap year and resiting privately

Oh OK. :smile:
Go for it. Sounds like you know what you want and why.
When I went to a sixth form college, a friend/acquaintance resat her GCSEs though she had enough to enter A levels. At first we were all like why, what's the point but she explained that her grades though were enough, limited the subjects she could take at A level and because she needed some of the subjects for her course at university, this influenced her decision. In the end, she ended up doing extremely well the second time round getting better grades, I'm talking about A*- B which definitely gave her more options at AS. In the end, a lot of us ended up repeating year 12 so we're all in the same year again lol instead, this time she had more options to what subjects she could study at AS.
Reply 13
Original post by Cherry82
Go for it. Sounds like you know what you want and why.
When I went to a sixth form college, a friend/acquaintance resat her GCSEs though she had enough to enter A levels. At first we were all like why, what's the point but she explained that her grades though were enough, limited the subjects she could take at A level and because she needed some of the subjects for her course at university, this influenced her decision. In the end, she ended up doing extremely well the second time round getting better grades, I'm talking about A*- B which definitely gave her more options at AS. In the end, a lot of us ended up repeating year 12 so we're all in the same year again lol instead, this time she had more options to what subjects she could study at AS.

Thanks very much and thanks a lot for sharing this. :smile:
Thanks very much and thanks a lot for sharing this. :smile:

My pleasure, good luck with everything :h:
Very brave! I wanted to resit my first year of BTEC but I'm not allowed. Good luck!
Have I made a good choice by dropping a level 3 extended diploma which is the equivalent to 3 A levels to do my GCSEs this year instead? I then plan to do A levels from next year after having sorted my GCSE grades out but this year I'll focus on getting good GCSE grades. Have I made the right choice considering my GCSE grades were really bad (less than 5)?

How will you be doing this? Won't it cost you a lot?
Reply 17
Well I'm doing it through a college. The subject that isn't offered will be as a private candidate only. :smile:
let us know the update

good luck with whatever ou choose to do.
Reply 19
Original post by Blackstarr
let us know the update

good luck with whatever ou choose to do.

I'll let you know tomorrow if I remember what I'll definitely be doing, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest