The Student Room Group

Some Qs I'd like to be answered; please!

Okay, atm I am seriously thinking about becoming a vet, after a long time of giving up this idea. As the only AS level I've done is Biology, I'm interested in 'Veterinary Medicine including a Preliminary Year BVMBVS' at Nottingham Uni. But I want to be sure it's the right thing for me. I did work experience at a vets in Year 11 and throughly enjoyed it, but have done none since then. I will try to get some at the same vet practice these hols I think.

Anyway, some Qs for you guys doing Vet Medicine:

-What were your GCSE grades?
- What were your A-level grades?
- Were you really good at maths and esp. science? (I got grade A at maths and science GCSE but my main concern is that I'll find all the scientific theory too difficult to grasp)
- Is a lot of the degree very science-based? (this is a stupid Q I know)
- What are the +ve and -ve aspects of the course?
- Is the degree course very demanding? Is there still quite a lot of time for leisure activities too?
- Are there many mature students doing the course too?
- How much work experience did you have before applying?

Many many thanks if you could help me with my queries :smile:
Reply 1
oh my god how did you manage to get so much experience!by the time i apply i will have 11 weeks experience, dat feels like nothing compared to you!i hope the rest of applicants dont have that much experience!lol
Reply 2
Thanks very much Lucy :smile:
Reply 3
1) 6A*s 4As B
2) AAA Bio, Chem and Maths
3) Eh, no. I'm crap at science. My strengths lie in english and music so who knows why I'm on a vet course. It was a lot harder for me to get the grades than my other friends but I got a tutor and worked my ass off after I got a C in chem at AS. I wasn't a complete failure but I really put myself down about it.
5) Same with Lucy as I'm in her year lol but it's not ALL sciency. I really enjoyed our module on animal behaviour or whatever it was and it was all philosophy type stuff. I know it was all a pile of waffle but it was nicer than biochem... First year wasn't hard and, in fact, I found most of it was what I did at A level anyway. It is mainly science but things like animal husbandry as already mentioned are a little more non-sciencey
6) +ve sides of veterinary- it's challenging but not out of my grasp, the social life is great (at liverpool) and..its veterinary, the best profession of them all lol
-ve sides- it has prevented me from getting a part time job but i'm going to work on that next year, it's expensive and my parents are having trouble funding my accomodation for 5 years and i had no summer holidays this year because of PCEMS (boo)
6) It is demanding and don't be led to thing that once you get on the course the work stops. At the same time, I like the challenge and all the new stuff you learn can be so interesting (can't say i'd agree when it comes to exam time). Definitely worth it once you're on the course though. It hasn't impeded on my social life at all. I had an amazing first semester and went out more than my liver could take lol. Don't worry about that..in first year anyway, it'll probably get harder to go out as time goes on.
7) quite a few mature students as already mentioned. I hear edinburgh has LOADS too but that would have to be checked
8) I had:

- worked in a small animal vets since I was 14 (so thats...4 years)
- 1 week mixed vets
- 6 months dairy farm and a few days at a larger dairy farm
- 1 year wildlife and rabbit sanctuary
- 6 years horse riding (had to give up because it got too expensive)
- kennels for 3 years

...i think that's it.

Good luck!
Reply 4
^ Thanks very much for taking the time to answer :smile:

As I'm not doing Chem for AS/A-level, do you think I'd find the course too hard or not? The only science I do is Biology.

Also, do all Vet Med courses include farming and stuff? I'm only really interested in domestic animals.

city_chic
^ Thanks very much for taking the time to answer :smile:

As I'm not doing Chem for AS/A-level, do you think I'd find the course too hard or not? The only science I do is Biology.

Also, do all Vet Med courses include farming and stuff? I'm only really interested in domestic animals.

All universities teach you to be able to treat small and large/farm animals, whether you have an interest in them or not. You'll probably find you're interests change as you go through vet school anyway.
Reply 6
^ Ah right, okay, thanks. I guess I'd need farming experience too then...there is a farm just up the road from me anyway, just in case :p:

I'm still worried that I'd find all the scientific mumbo jumbo too difficult though, looking at programme contents and stuff.
Reply 7
I'd say farm experience is some of the most valuable stuff you can get down on ur c.v. - it's genuine work and the hours are unsociable, so spells of milking for example can't fail to impress admissions tutors. The other good thing about farm work is that it shows the uni's that u aren't just interested in 'cute animals' blah blah blah!

I wouldn't worry about maths etc, ok u need to get a good g.c.s.e grade in it, but although lots of vet applicants take a level maths and physics, it's in no way something you have to do. And dont worry if ur not a science whizz or w/e, im much more a histroy.english lit. type but all sceince takes is hard work and not being afraid of it :P

Sam
Reply 8
^ Thanks. So you think I'd find the degree alright without being amazing at science?
Reply 9
Well, i think hard work is what it's all about really, at A level being naturally good at science doesn't get you anywhere, it's all down to how hard you work and how much time you put in really,

Sam
Reply 10
^ Well I am an extremely hard worker.

Are you on a Vet Med course?
Reply 11
No, but hopefully as of this september *crosses fingers* The other good thing about being a hard worker is that you need to be to be a good vet.

Sam
Reply 12
^ Oh cool, good luck for that :smile:

I feel more inspired to try to get onto a Vet Med gateway course now after seeing that not every applicant is a natural scientist, like I'm not. I'm in two minds, but I'm really thinking about going for it atm.
Reply 13
So far the course has been mainly biology with us and there's been a little chem with the pharmacology but it wasn't too challenging. However, there could be more chem as we go on especially when we do more pharm. but you're not on your own and you can get help if you're struggling.

Now that I think about it, do you not have to do chemistry at a level for some unis? You might want to check that.
you need chem for all the uni's, but not the gateway course cos she will be doing a year of science (inc chem) before she starts the actual course. :biggrin:

x
Reply 15
^ Yeah, you don't actually need any sciences for the gateway course, which is great. I do Biology though anyway.
Reply 16
I've heard that not all the uni's require biolgy at A level, which seems mental to me for obvious reasons - anyone elese heard this?
Reply 17
Ohh sorry, didn't realise you were applying for the gateway course, my mistake :biggrin:
Reply 18
^ No prob :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending