The Student Room Group

5 AS Levels - self teaching maths?

I got 9A* and an A at GCSE level and now just starting AS. As of this year, my school is no longer allowing anyone to do 5AS so I will have to teach myself Maths, although I think my teacher will be willing to help me. (I have started off with 5 - full time with the 4 I will be continuing and 3 periods of maths each week which fits into my study periods - however this is just for the first few weeks, after which I have a meeting to "decide" which to drop".
Hopefully I should be able to get notes and all from the teacher I have for Maths at the minute, even if I'm not going to the 3 periods a week any more, but I was wondering if not, what I should do.
The MyMaths website (which we have used in school at GCSE) has an A - Level section which goes over every topic (I'm doing C1, C2 and M1 this year). Would this be a good enough resource to use to teach myself maths AS this year, or would I need something else? I should mention that I did Maths and Further Maths at GCSE and got A* in both, so it shouldn't be so much of a jump?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The jump in AS maths is hardly noticeable. I wouldn't use MyMaths alone, try ExamSolutions as well. You'll also need a lot of questions to practice, physicsandmathstutor.com is full of great resources.
Reply 2
Original post by Vanilla Poison
The jump in AS maths is hardly noticeable. I wouldn't use MyMaths alone, try ExamSolutions as well. You'll also need a lot of questions to practice, physicsandmathstutor.com is full of great resources.

So you're saying it shouldn't be too diffivult if I have done further maths? And thanks for those websites!
Original post by hannahly
So you're saying it shouldn't be too diffivult if I have done further maths? And thanks for those websites!

I didn't even do further maths at GCSE and I found AS maths very manageable. Obviously you shouldn't neglect it as some topics may be tricky to get your head around, especially in M1.
Reply 4
Original post by Vanilla Poison
I didn't even do further maths at GCSE and I found AS maths very manageable. Obviously you shouldn't neglect it as some topics may be tricky to get your head around, especially in M1.

That's great, thanks
C1 is literally GCSE maths so that can be done in a couple of days (I've done it so you can), C2 isn't bad as well but will require a bit more focus and I heard M1 is sort of difficult but if you put your head into it it should be fine :smile: since you did GCSE further maths the jump shouldn't be too noticeable!

May I ask why you are doing 5 when 3 AS' are enough? You could do 4AS and 4 A Levels?
I don't think you should do 5 if you believe it will hinder your chances of getting better grades in the other subjects :smile:

Congrats on your GCSEs btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by DamnDaniel2
C1 is literally GCSE maths so that can be done in a couple of days (I've done it so you can), C2 isn't bad as well but will require a bit more focus and I heard M1 is sort of difficult but if you put your head into it it should be fine :smile: since you did GCSE further maths the jump shouldn't be too noticeable!

May I ask why you are doing 5 when 3 AS' are enough? You could do 4AS and 4 A Levels?
I don't think you should do 5 if you believe it will hinder your chances of getting better grades in the other subjects :smile:

Congrats on your GCSEs btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically I couldnt't decide what subjects to do so I was allowed to start off with 5 for the first few weeks and I already know I love them all and couldn't drop any of them!! But thanks for your help! Are there any resources you would recommend?
Self-teaching maths is a risk, take it from me.

I thought I could breeze through the year and learn it, but as I saw other friends falter, it needs a professional teacher and lesson time for it to be fully understood, considering the spectrum of questions they released this year.
Reply 8
Original post by nwmyname
Self-teaching maths is a risk, take it from me.

I thought I could breeze through the year and learn it, but as I saw other friends falter, it needs a professional teacher and lesson time for it to be fully understood, considering the spectrum of questions they released this year.

Okay - I'm doing CCEA, does that make any difference?
Okay - I'm doing CCEA, does that make any difference?

I did EdExcel which I would highly recommend over any exam board.

I don't know sorry.

:frown:
Reply 10
I got 9A* and an A at GCSE level and now just starting AS. As of this year, my school is no longer allowing anyone to do 5AS so I will have to teach myself Maths, although I think my teacher will be willing to help me. (I have started off with 5 - full time with the 4 I will be continuing and 3 periods of maths each week which fits into my study periods - however this is just for the first few weeks, after which I have a meeting to "decide" which to drop".
Hopefully I should be able to get notes and all from the teacher I have for Maths at the minute, even if I'm not going to the 3 periods a week any more, but I was wondering if not, what I should do.
The MyMaths website (which we have used in school at GCSE) has an A - Level section which goes over every topic (I'm doing C1, C2 and M1 this year). Would this be a good enough resource to use to teach myself maths AS this year, or would I need something else? I should mention that I did Maths and Further Maths at GCSE and got A* in both, so it shouldn't be so much of a jump?

Is it worth doing 5AS Levels? With the linear A-Level reforms most schools won't be doing AS exams so would 5 AS Levels be necessary, understandably if you are able to do it (you seem to have a good plan at how you will self teach yourself) then you may as well. Although, at the end of the day if the AS level you're studying for won't have an exam (in the first year) would there be a point in studying it?
Reply 11
Original post by nwmyname
I did EdExcel which I would highly recommend over any exam board.

I don't know sorry.

:frown:

Okay no worries
Reply 12
Original post by Maz A
Is it worth doing 5AS Levels? With the linear A-Level reforms most schools won't be doing AS exams so would 5 AS Levels be necessary, understandably if you are able to do it (you seem to have a good plan at how you will self teach yourself) then you may as well. Although, at the end of the day if the AS level you're studying for won't have an exam (in the first year) would there be a point in studying it?

Totally get your point, but all my subjects are CCEA and haven't been reformed - still an AS exam at the end of this year for everything!
What subjects are you doing
Reply 14
Totally get your point, but all my subjects are CCEA and haven't been reformed - still an AS exam at the end of this year for everything!

Oh goodness hadn't realised that thought they would all change by next year (at least the majority). In that case with your achieved results and current plan I say go for it you seem very confident in what you want to achieve remember to let a Maths teacher know that you're doing this as well (so you can get some extra help if need be). In terms of AS Maths, papers are the best way to revise without a doubt, Good Luck.
Basically I couldnt't decide what subjects to do so I was allowed to start off with 5 for the first few weeks and I already know I love them all and couldn't drop any of them!! But thanks for your help! Are there any resources you would recommend?

Ah ok! I had that problem and was meant to start off my AS with maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics but decided to not do physics :smile:

I know for maths examsolutions is really good and make sure you do solomon papers as well as normal past papers :smile:
Solomon papers are harder and really tests you but make sure you do normal past papers because you need to get used to how the exams asks questions :smile:

I don't know which other subjects you are doing but if you are doing chemistry then I have been told to use chemguide :smile: and this person only used chemguide and managed to get 298/300 UMS in chemistry I think and is now doing Chemistry in Oxford this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by metrize
What subjects are you doing

French, German, Economics, Classical Civilisation and then the maths
Reply 17
Original post by Maz A
Oh goodness hadn't realised that thought they would all change by next year (at least the majority). In that case with your achieved results and current plan I say go for it you seem very confident in what you want to achieve remember to let a Maths teacher know that you're doing this as well (so you can get some extra help if need be). In terms of AS Maths, papers are the best way to revise without a doubt, Good Luck.

Thanks! I think it's only CCEA (Northern Irish board) and whatever the welsh exam board is that arent changing.
Reply 18
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Ah ok! I had that problem and was meant to start off my AS with maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics but decided to not do physics :smile:

I know for maths examsolutions is really good and make sure you do solomon papers as well as normal past papers :smile:
Solomon papers are harder and really tests you but make sure you do normal past papers because you need to get used to how the exams asks questions :smile:

I don't know which other subjects you are doing but if you are doing chemistry then I have been told to use chemguide :smile: and this person only used chemguide and managed to get 298/300 UMS in chemistry I think and is now doing Chemistry in Oxford this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm not doing Chemistry - decided to leave sciences well behind after GCSE!! Doing French German Classical Civilisation and Economics and then the maths.
Thanks! I'm not doing Chemistry - decided to leave sciences well behind after GCSE!! Doing French German Classical Civilisation and Economics and then the maths.

Oh ok! What would you like to be when you're older?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest