The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tanyapotter
i would say that manchester, cardiff and birmingham are all very much in the same league as KCL. i can't see KCL being particularly better than the 3 aforementioned for any course in particular, apart from law.

KCL have a better dentistry, history, Medicine, Politics, War studies, Psychology, International relations, Philosophy and Media courses than all 3
Reply 41
Original post by Vividly clear
KCL have a better dentistry, history, Medicine, Politics, War studies, Psychology, International relations, Philosophy and Media courses than all 3

Keep telling yourself that.
Original post by alow
Keep telling yourself that.

The league tables don't lie

no one is saying KCL isn't a good university, but there's nothing about KCL which makes manchester, birmingham and cardiff out of its league. there's something about oxbridge, LSE and imperial (to name the obvious few), but not KCL.

Yeah, so loughborough is better than KCL in your eyes too?

Yeah I didnt think so
EDIT: lol exactly what I said would happen happened.
Overrated: London Met. It ought to be shut down.
Underrated: Oxford. It doesn't get the merit it deserves as being better than Cambridge.
Reply 46

Some suggested reading:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Lie-Statistics-Penguin-Business/dp/0140136290
Original post by LifeIsFine
Yeah, so loughborough is better than KCL in your eyes too?

Yeah I didnt think so
EDIT: lol exactly what I said would happen happened.

I wasn't online and please call me up when Loughborough gets ranked top 20 in the F*cking world

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news/newsrecords/2015/September/Kings-College-London-retains-top-20-ranking.aspx
no one is saying KCL isn't a good university, but there's nothing about KCL which makes manchester, birmingham and cardiff out of its league. there's something about oxbridge, LSE and imperial (to name the obvious few), but not KCL.

What's so special about LSE? Please tell me.
Reply 50
Original post by alow
What about it?

All the courses I said KCL is far superior to those 3 Uni's in are listed there
I wasn't online and please call me up when Loughborough gets ranked top 20 in the F*cking world

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/newsevents/news/newsrecords/2015/September/Kings-College-London-retains-top-20-ranking.aspx

Sigh, you quote the completeuniversityguide, and yet they say Loughbourough is better than KCL:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/loughborough

I'm not going to continue this argument, regardless if I'm right or wrong because you know, it really doesnt do anything for anyone
Reply 53
All the courses I said KCL is far superior to those 3 Uni's in are listed there

Sigh, you quote the completeuniversityguide, and yet they say Loughbourough is better than KCL:

I'm not going to continue this argument, regardless if I'm right or wrong because you know, it really doesnt do anything for anyone

This.

I am talking about specific courses, not the University ranking. You can use any other course league table you want, those subjects I listed KCL are far superior to those other 3 in them.

But when you're comparing Universities you use International rankings because National rankings are based on bullsh*t things like student satisfaction and feedback quality
Original post by alow
This.

That's not an argument
What's so special about LSE? Please tell me.

it's better than KCL... for everything that it does........
it's better than KCL... for everything that it does........

You have to elaborate because this statement alone isn't tangible.
Reply 58
Here's Mine

Overrated

1. London school of Economics
2. Warwick University
3.Exeter
4.Queen Mary, University of BTEC's
5.Nottingham

Why? Would think that it's underrated, along with many other 'city' universities e.g. Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Sheffield. Also because I'm going there after missing my offer. :biggrin:

I think the most overrated university, in the universe, has to be UCL.
It even overrates itself by having tonnes of vacancies this year - but doesn't make them available on clearing, only adjustment. Why, except for their own ego, they have this policy I don't know - the extraordinarily rude woman on their 'admissions hotline' couldn't give me any valid reason except for 'because it's UCL', despite me clearly meeting the offer for one of their courses. People call Oxbridge elitist - they don't know about UCL!
Shows how it has zero academic substance whatsoever and is simply an 'institution' with a nice building and 3 letters and people have the illusion that by simply having those 3 letters on their CV, will instantly give them a 'City' job, despite the appalling rent and student satisfaction situation currently.
I wish I had done more research before making them my insurance choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bj1
Why? Would think that it's underrated, along with many other 'city' universities e.g. Manchester, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Sheffield. Also because I'm going there after missing my offer. :biggrin:

I think the most overrated university, in the universe, has to be UCL.
It even overrates itself by having tonnes of vacancies this year - but doesn't make them available on clearing, only adjustment. Why, except for their own ego, they have this policy I don't know - the extraordinarily rude woman on their 'admissions hotline' couldn't give me any valid reason except for 'because it's UCL', despite me clearly meeting the offer for one of their courses. People call Oxbridge elitist - they don't know about UCL!
Shows how it has zero academic substance whatsoever and is simply an 'institution' with a nice building and 3 letters and people have the illusion that by simply having those 3 letters on their CV, will instantly give them a 'City' job, despite the appalling rent and student satisfaction situation currently.
I wish I had done more research before making them my insurance choice.

To be fair, If I was gonna pick a 6th it would probably be UCL