The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
generalebriety
So, having typed that entire post, you still actually haven't tried any STEP III questions, you're just accepting your teacher's opinion?

I don't care how much harder your Greek maths is, no one finds STEP easy. I find AEA quite accessible but I've never met a mathematician yet who finds STEP easy before they're at university. :s-smilie: And, quite frankly, you've got me interested now. How about scanning in a few of these supposedly incredibly difficult questions?

Personally I think you're talking absolute bull****. STEP is the entrance exam to Cambridge, the university that prides itself on offering one of the toughest maths courses in the world. There's no way Greek students have harder exams, otherwise tons of Greek students would be getting into Cambridge to do maths, and as far as I'm aware, they're not. :s-smilie: Even the best mathematicians I know never found STEP easy when they were taking it, and that's not just my experience, that is the general consensus of everyone. Stephen Siklos, the person who sets the STEP papers, finds the odd question difficult - at an open day he told us he was stuck for hours on a problem that he himself had written a few years earlier.

Either you're some sort of prodigy, or, more likely, you're talking rubbish. For the whole of this arrogant post*, you didn't actually once even claim to have opened a STEP paper, just an AEA.

Ooooh dear...fine have it your way then. I've nothing more to say. There is no point in me senselessly arguying with you. You win!!.

*You call my post arrogant. OMG...Come on, there is nothing arrogant about my post I was just giving facts and replying back at what you said.
Reply 61
Mathemagician. Funny?
I don't think you can really argue your point without actually having seen Greek questions. I know that of some foreign countries have much higher standards than us e.g singapore. It is ridiculous in singapore. Their questions aren't so much repeating the technique that you learn over and over again but more to use what you have learnt and apply it to something else. There is that sort of thing because there is so much competition. Btw I'm not singaporean just had a singaporean teacher once. Anyway the person that said that they had never met anyone who had found STEP easier. I said in another post usually you find something difficult because there isn't something more difficult than it. When you have finished A-level, you think that GCSE is ridiculously easy because of the higher standards of A-level. When you first learn addition when you were like 4, you would probably thought that was difficult but now you know how ridiculously easy it was because you have encountered things that are more difficult. When you have found something more difficult than STEP then you would know eventually how easy it was. I bet when you finish a degree in Maths, you would find it easy because you have encountered stuff more difficult.

Very true :yy:
Mathemagician. Funny?
I don't think you can really argue your point without actually having seen Greek questions. I know that of some foreign countries have much higher standards than us e.g singapore. It is ridiculous in singapore. Their questions aren't so much repeating the technique that you learn over and over again but more to use what you have learnt and apply it to something else. There is that sort of thing because there is so much competition. Btw I'm not singaporean just had a singaporean teacher once. Anyway the person that said that they had never met anyone who had found STEP easier. I said in another post usually you find something difficult because there isn't something more difficult than it. When you have finished A-level, you think that GCSE is ridiculously easy because of the higher standards of A-level. When you first learn addition when you were like 4, you would probably thought that was difficult but now you know how ridiculously easy it was because you have encountered things that are more difficult. When you have found something more difficult than STEP then you would know eventually how easy it was. I bet when you finish a degree in Maths, you would find it easy because you have encountered stuff more difficult.

And yet none of this answered my main point at all. If Greek exams were so much harder than STEP, all sorts of Greek people would be flocking to Cambridge in their hundreds or even thousands. Anyway, I never said Greek exams weren't hard, I said STEP wasn't easy. And it's not. :rolleyes: GCSE is easy, because whether you're bad at maths or not, it's repetition of techniques that you can familiarise yourself with by rote learning. STEP isn't. I'm sure there'll come a point when I'll find STEP easy, but it still won't be easy.

Franckii05
Ooooh dear...fine have it your way then. I've nothing more to say. There is no point in me senselessly arguying with you. You win!!.

*You call my post arrogant. OMG...Come on, there is nothing arrogant about my post I was just giving facts and replying back at what you said.

I called your post arrogant because you were dismissing Cambridge's entrance exam as easy, which is laughable, not least because it prides itself on the rigour of its maths course and on providing one of the best maths courses in the world. Anyway, I asked to see some of this Greek maths. Any chance of that?
generalebriety
And yet none of this answered my main point at all. If Greek exams were so much harder than STEP, all sorts of Greek people would be flocking to Cambridge in their hundreds or even thousands. Anyway, I never said Greek exams weren't hard, I said STEP wasn't easy. And it's not. :rolleyes: GCSE is easy, because whether you're bad at maths or not, it's repetition of techniques that you can familiarise yourself with by rote learning. STEP isn't. I'm sure there'll come a point when I'll find STEP easy, but it still won't be easy.

You have got to remember though that STEP isn't the be all and end all of Maths. There is more to go into after STEP. There is more depth to Maths and of course more difficult things to come across. I'm sure you know but I am just making that point.

Also you don't probably know but do know that Cambridge is a British university. It takes the best students in Britain. There is only a small portion of international students that join. They don't really care about the content you have learned but more your passion and potential ability. There are standards they set as the first benchmark as you obviously know which is normally a certain grade in a certain exam which for us is 3As for your A-levels and is different for different places. Then they interview you. Although you may have studied content further than STEP, there may also be a student who has more potential than you and so is picked ahead of you. It is like two kids of the age of 6. One child is tutored at home and taught everything he needs to know for GCSE while the other is just taught everything any normal 6 year old would learn. There is no way of telling which is more intelligent, you just know already that the 6 year old could cope with the content while the other you can only predict. It is the same here, you know that the Greek kid could have coped but the other could be potential even better which is what universities do when they judge your potential. Is this person able to achieve a 2:1 or a 1st in his degree when he come to it? Also there is a certain number of foreign people who could be admitted. I think it is something really small like 10(I'm not too sure obviously). You couldn't honestly say that all 10 could be Greek, there could be kids with more potential from Indonesia or India or China or Denmark. Pretty much anywhere.
Also i do agree with the people who say that the OP is just trying to show off.
Reply 65
generalebriety

I called your post arrogant because you were dismissing Cambridge's entrance exam as easy, which is laughable, not least because it prides itself on the rigour of its maths course and on providing one of the best maths courses in the world. Anyway, I asked to see some of this Greek maths.Any chance of that?

I never dismissed the fact that Cambridge is the world's pretigeous university.
I just said that STEP isn't as difficult as you guys make it sound.

I'll be meeting my Maths teacher for whatever reasons (you don't want to know) sometime next week. I'll borrow his book (the translated one...lol) and give you what you want. I'm not promising you anything but I'll do my best :biggrin::biggrin:.
Reply 66
Franckii05
I never dismissed the fact that Cambridge is the world's pretigeous university.
I just said that STEP isn't as difficult as you guys make it sound.

I'll be meeting my Maths teacher for whatever reasons (you don't want to know) sometime next week. I'll borrow his book (the translated one...lol) and give you what you want. I'm not promising you anything but I'll do my best :biggrin::biggrin:.

a few posts back you said he gave you the book. :s-smilie:
Mathemagician. Funny?
You have got to remember though that STEP isn't the be all and end all of Maths. There is more to go into after STEP. There is more depth to Maths and of course more difficult things to come across. I'm sure you know but I am just making that point.
I do know that. I still refuse to believe a standard A-level equivalent exam is more difficult than STEP. A-level is nothing compared to STEP, and if Greek A-levels are ten times as hard as ours they'll still be nothing. :s-smilie: Most maths candidates simply could not cope with that.

Mathemagician. Funny?
Also you don't probably know but do know that Cambridge is a British university. It takes the best students in Britain. There is only a small portion of international students that join. They don't really care about the content you have learned but more your passion and potential ability.
But if the Greek exam is harder than STEP, and STEP is easy, then they're all more than ready to study at Cambridge. I am reminded of DFranklin, a Cambridge graduate, who stated most of the Cambridge Tripos exams were around STEP II difficulty, just more advanced material.
Reply 68
what has this got to do with a good mathematician? marks is only an indicator - i doubt AS results would be sufficient to merit the title of a great mathematician
generalebriety
I do know that. I still refuse to believe a standard A-level equivalent exam is more difficult than STEP. A-level is nothing compared to STEP, and if Greek A-levels are ten times as hard as ours they'll still be nothing. :s-smilie: Most maths candidates simply could not cope with that.

But if the Greek exam is harder than STEP, and STEP is easy, then they're all more than ready to study at Cambridge. I am reminded of DFranklin, a Cambridge graduate, who stated most of the Cambridge Tripos exams were around STEP II difficulty, just more advanced material.

Yeah I agree with you. Would you say that loads of people can handle the content but there are people who can do it better than others? Which is the point I am making. Singapore exams are way harder. I looked at year 6 text book which was my uncle's, that had stuff like loci and the sort of algebra you get in C1 which obviously hard but is obviously a high standard for people in year. My mum and dad went on holiday there before I was born during term time and they would see five year olds with the biggest bags on their back filled with books and stuff that they had to learn. I don't know what they study when they are 18 but it may be harder but might not be because there is a big jump between GCSE and A-level while they learn stuff of a higher standard from a younger and build on what they do year on year. While most people find A-level as a shock compared to GCSE.

I agree it does sound stupid to be teaching stuff more advanced than the content taught at Cambridge. Maybe Frank just had never learnt some of the stuff in the Greek textbook. I don't know.
Reply 70
eponymous
a few posts back you said he gave you the book. :s-smilie:

Yes and I forgot to mention that I was doing them in class (he just gives it to me during every maths lessons). The book he gave me for keeps was the 1960's-1980's. Unless you want that.
Like I said I'll meet him sometime next week and try and borrow his book again. And I'll repeat again I'm not promising anything but I'll do my best to provide you what you want.
Mathemagician. Funny?
Would you say that loads of people can handle the content but there are people who can do it better than others? Which is the point I am making. Singapore exams are way harder. I looked at year 6 text book which was my uncle's, that had stuff like loci and the sort of algebra you get in C1 which obviously hard but is obviously a high standard for people in year.

It's not the actual syllabus I'm talking about. I'm sure you know the STEP syllabus is practically identical to the A-level syllabus. But there's a difference between year 6/C1 and A-level/STEP. C1 is more mindless rubbish - memorising a few loci (parabola and circle), couple of results about what happens when, learning how to do algebra... true, it's incredibly advanced for that age, but it's not difficult in that, if you wanted to, you could go through the whole thing blind not understanding a word, just learning all the content and spewing it back out at relevant points. To an extent you can do this in further maths too. The questions are all predictable, even if there's the odd difficult topic, the odd integral where you have to think a bit; second order differential equations? Any 12-year-old could do 'em. Wouldn't know what the hell they meant, or why they were doing what they were doing, but they could do 'em. STEP genuinely makes you think and understand in a way that A-level (and even to an extent AEA) doesn't. Of course, there's harder than STEP; but I refuse to believe it's any A-level equivalent in any country, because it's not the material being learnt that's harder, it's the depth of understanding, mental dexterity and confidence in manipulation and trying novel ideas that you have to display. :smile:
Franckii05
Yes and I forgot to mention that I was doing them in class (he just gives it to me during every maths lessons). The book he gave me for keeps was the 1960's-1980's. Unless you want that.

Nah, wouldn't be much help... old A-level papers are much harder than current ones anyway, I know that.

Franckii05
Like I said I'll meet him sometime next week and try and borrow his book again. And I'll repeat again I'm not promising anything but I'll do my best to provide you what you want.

I look forward to it. :p:
Franckii05

Do the 1960s-1980s because you said that was even harder.
generalebriety
It's not the actual syllabus I'm talking about. I'm sure you know the STEP syllabus is practically identical to the A-level syllabus. But there's a difference between year 6/C1 and A-level/STEP. C1 is more mindless rubbish - memorising a few loci (parabola and circle), couple of results about what happens when, learning how to do algebra... true, it's incredibly advanced for that age, but it's not difficult in that, if you wanted to, you could go through the whole thing blind not understanding a word, just learning all the content and spewing it back out at relevant points. To an extent you can do this in further maths too. The questions are all predictable, even if there's the odd difficult topic, the odd integral where you have to think a bit; second order differential equations? Any 12-year-old could do 'em. Wouldn't know what the hell they meant, or why they were doing what they were doing, but they could do 'em. STEP genuinely makes you think and understand in a way that A-level (and even to an extent AEA) doesn't. Of course, there's harder than STEP; but I refuse to believe it's any A-level equivalent in any country, because it's not the material being learnt that's harder, it's the depth of understanding, mental dexterity and confidence in manipulation and trying novel ideas that you have to display. :smile:

Yeah sorry I misread your post. Yeah difficulty not content. I get you.
Reply 75
I also find it somewhat hard to believe that any other countries' A-level equivalent exams are harder than STEP! It's not the actual mathematical content and rote learning of a syllabus they're testing you on in STEP, its your clarity of thought and true understanding of concepts derived from A-level mathematics.

I'm pretty sure you could write a few damn nasty questions just from the GCSE syllabus that could be quite taxing on many good mathematicians.

You still, as far as I am aware, haven't answered General's question either; have you ACTUALLY done a full STEP III exam, in the allocated time, and done remarkably well...?
Reply 76
How in god's name can you memorise the answers to a STEP paper?????????????????????????

I don't think getting a good UMS mark makes you a great mathematician. It doesn't really matter what you get as long as you are good at picking up stuff and doing new things in an elegant and sharp fashion.
A great mathematician should be above starting stupid threads like this... :wink:

If you want to demonstrate your mathematical ability, posting some nice mathematics is a better plan, I think...
Reply 78
*sigh* STEP. What a conundrum indeed. The Maths in STEP is not hard. It's most definitely an artificial hindrance that makes STEP difficult, or at least difficult to get a good mark in it. For instance, STEP is very stylistic. Without having seen or answered a question before, it's unlikely that you'll be flexible enough to answer the question fully or rigorously, even if you do possess or surpass the required mathematical ability. STEP requires a lot of stamina also - after 3 hours of STEPing, your brain may well feel slightly feeble, weak, useless and gooey - all just a taster, I'm sure, of the university exams to come. Nevertheless, I don't find that STEP is necessarily that beneficial. Yes, it is the hardest Maths exam available at the end of A-levels, but this is mainly, I think, down to the requirement for very time-consuming practicing, practicing how to answer or interpret best oddly phrased questions or spending 20 minutes expanding some horrendous expression (if not, spotting a trick to make it easier), which really irritates me, as, whilst it means that those who are lazy yet excellent mathematicians will have the capacity to do well, they will probably be outclassed by those who are less lazy but less brilliant, as it's much more an indicator of work done, rather than natural talent. I suppose that's a bit like all exams though. Anyway, I'm just expressing my doubts about the usefulness of STEP... Didn't stop me taking it for fun though! I thought STEP III was much nicer than usual. Can't comment on STEP II (overslept on the exam day...:redface: )Gosh, what a long a rambling post. I'll shut up now...
Reply 79
I don't think any exam can be a judge of how good of a mathematician you are.

Latest