Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to help you!

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

So.. I'll try and keep this as short as I can but I'm kinda asking for your opinions and thoughts.

I am coming to a stage in my life where I have been through some mental health problems and I am very happy to say I am now a lot better. I've always had a dream to help people and now I want to make it a reality.

I believe that everybody deserves to smile and deserves a little bit of happiness in one way or another. So I was thinking of setting up a charity/website that would help people by giving them a little bit of happiness in one way or another. It could be anything from a bunch of flowers to a family day out for people that have had a rough time and need a lift. It would just take a nomination and an idea and I can hopefully create a smile for someone you know who deserves it.

I understand this isn't a usual post on here but I feel you guys may know how important little things are when you don't feel your best.

I would honestly love to know what you think of the idea and any suggestions would be amazing.

Thank you!

I think this, whilst it would be difficult to set up, would be absolutely incredible. If you can pull it off, I will be forever in awe of you. I wish you the best of luck and I hope to see this idea flourish into a wonderful reality.

This is a charity that we use quite a bit at my work - https://www.familyholidayassociation.org.uk/

Gives struggling families with children under 18 a free break away. Maybe worth a look as it seems like that could be something related to your idea.

Whatever you do, don't make it a cheesy website. If you want it to be good, then it needs to be something people will want to visit.

Sounds like a lovely idea. Possibly a gift share service where people donate a gift and recieve a gift. When I was at a low stage in my life I joined a secret santa event here on TSR and it made me happy knowing that somebody- a real flesh and blood, real world person- took some time to think what would make me smile and that somebody might have got the same happy feeling from something I did. It's the personal touch that really made it. You could set a price limit or even just make it free gifts (poems, drawings, handmade knick-knacks). I would totally pitch in if it wouldn't cost me and i'm sure it would be the same for others. If your charity handled the postage costs I think people might be into it. It would be really good if you could anonimise adresses and personal info somehhow too- like people freepost things to you and you just send it out to a random user.

I suggest you see if you can get some help from go fund me or something. If you don't have much experience with web design you may be able to ask somebody for a hand. An astheticly pleasing, well designed website will always get more attention.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.