The Student Room Group

GCSE Textiles coursework

Hi, I am starting my textiles coursework now (WJEC exam board) and I'm having trouble on what to write. If anyone has done textiles coursework at GCSE before, preferably with the WJEC exam board, could you post some pictures of your folder so I could get an idea on how I should present my work, etc to get the best grades. Thanks :wink:
Reply 1
Original post by love4daisy
Hi, I am starting my textiles coursework now (WJEC exam board) and I'm having trouble on what to write. If anyone has done textiles coursework at GCSE before, preferably with the WJEC exam board, could you post some pictures of your folder so I could get an idea on how I should present my work, etc to get the best grades. Thanks :wink:

I'm in Yr 10 and I'm also starting my coursework. I looked up online and found a useful comment by someone in what they did for each page on their coursework. I pasted if below. The person that did this had an AQA exam board and I'm doing OCR but I think the basic layout will be the same for all. Hope this helps x

Page 1) Customer info - project title, who is the client, where/when the product will be used, what could I make, how will I make it. On other half of page - things to consider- client, function, safety, fabric, style, time available, cost, size, event, component.
Page 2) Image board - pictures of existing products, fabric samples, component samples, etc.....then an evaluation, why I needed a mood board, why I have chosen those items on the mood board.
Page 3) comparitive shop- examples of the product on the market....in a grid...comparing price, colour, descriptio, fabric, and sizes, available.....then evaluated page.
Page 4) A designer influence (so I did Giorgio Armani)....on other half of page I did an influence from the past ( so i did fashion since WW1).
Page 5) Product analysis......I analysed a product already on the market.....I looked at the shop, joining/neatening techniques, colour, price, appearance, fastenings, fabric content, style, washing instructions, country of origin, and function.....then I evaluated the page, saying how it would help me design my prouct and the designs I will use.
Page 6) On this page I evaluated the previous pages (image board, comparitive shop, product analysis)....I did this on a grid.....important points of the research, how the information will help me, an what point will specifically help me.
Page 7) Fabric specification- the kind of fabric I will choose....type of material, construction of fabric, colour, properties, cost per metre, after care.
Page 8) Product specification- what i think my product will look like....style, size dimensions, colours, componenets, finishes, after care.
Page 8) Initial ideas for my product.... I did 6.....drew them in pencil and annotated.
Page 9) Design ideas- ideas that my final product may be like....drawn in pencil and detail annotation....I also evaluated each against my product and fabric specification and also specified where id got my inspiration from.
Page 10) Colour, shape, and pattern ways.....this was my final design....so for the colour ways i drew the same waistcoat 4 times (front and back view) in diffferent colours...etc
Page 11) I did a lining to my product, so I did different pattern ideas....and evaltuated
Page 12) I did different decorative techniques to create my lining....and evaluated
Page 13) Market research- I showed people my design ideas to see which they liked best....then evaluated the page.
Page 14) Health safety and risk assesment...for every action that I would need to do to create my product I wrote risks and evaluated the chance of the risk.
Page 15) Fabric reseach.... Looked at different fabrics and fibre contents....then evaluated them against my product spec and looked how suitable they would be to use.
Page 16) Final design....large picture of design in pen and coloured in on a model....lots of annotation.....examples of embelishment...etc....evaluate against product spec....and evaluate overall.
Page 17)Manufacturng specification.....a flat image drawn in pencil....fabric description (actual fabric being used)...stitch detail.....components used....care label.....packaging info.....total cost and quantities.
Page 18) Toile...mock up of my product...I took photos and did a step by step....indicating any problems I had.
Page 19) Environmental considerations....for example dying of the fabric.....to be more environmental I would use cold water dyes, or use a fabric made from natural or single blend fibres.
Page 19) Fabric layout....the layout of the pattern pieces on the fabric, showing all the pattern markings...evaluate....saying this is the most efficent layout.Page 19) Costings sheet....the amounts of the materials and how much everything will cost....include labour hours....say it is expensive so appeals to a more upper class market.
Page 20) Production flow chart.....have to look this up...cant explain it very well.
Page 21) Mass manufacture....how I would make my product if it was mass manufactured.
Page 22) User trials...so I did every day activites with my item on....I evaluated with things like 'is it comfortable'.
Page 23) Production plan....lesson by lesson plan....what I did in each...the health and safety considerations for each lesson...quality control checks.
Page 24) Public survey of final item
Page 25) Fabric test....I did a crease test, shrinkage test, piling test, static test, and a dry test.....then evaluated.
Page 26) Evaluation of product...improvemetns and advice to manufacturer.
Page 27) Evaluation of whole folder...research, designing, developments, planning, making, design spec...etc........to finish some pictures of my product.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest