The Student Room Group

is this maths and further maths module combination possible

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
No im doing both this year, ppl in the year above have and i've seen their results sheet. M1 and M2 only have to go together for normal maths so M2 for normal and M1 for further isnt possible but the opposite is.

Oh I see, thanks :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Zacken
Which is why you always need to re-cash in your AS.

Or you can just swap the modules around?
Reply 22
Original post by shuu00

Huh? That's a lot more trouble than cashing in your AS, something that any competent exam officer should be doing automatically anyway.
Original post by shuu00
In Edexcel this isn't possible. I tried to put M1 with core maths and M2 with further and they wouldn't let me. M1 and M2 have to go together.

well i done M2 during AS and M1 during A2 and my M2 was cashed fine
Original post by shuu00
In Edexcel this isn't possible. I tried to put M1 with core maths and M2 with further and they wouldn't let me. M1 and M2 have to go together.

They don't have to go together, but you have to have an allowable combination of applied units in Maths - that is 2 unit 1s (e.g. M1 and D1) or a pair of 1 & 2, e.g. M1 & M2.
Original post by kingaaran
As someone said, they maximise your maths grade and then your FM grade. If on results day you realise there is an alternative grade combination you'd prefer, you can ask to change the order of cash ins.

No you can't. The rules http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres say:

A request to change a grading combination that includes an unclassified award to an arithmetically possible alternative will be granted. No other requests to change grading combinations will normally be allowed.

The exception to this is if the centre made a mistake in cashing-in - that can be corrected to change grades.
Original post by shuu00
Not always, because they work with the core maths/ further maths combinations from AS. At the end of the two years you can swap the modules from say, AS maths to further and so on. Believe me, it happens. I had to swap mine around as they put my weaker modules with FM.

It only happens if the school makes an error in the admin. If it's done correctly it will always maximise your Maths grade, then your Further Maths grade, (then your Additional Further Maths grade), then your Maths UMS etc.
Original post by shuu00

You can only do this by a late cash-in, correcting the fact that it should have been done earlier.
Reply 28
Original post by Compost
You can only do this by a late cash-in, correcting the fact that it should have been done earlier.

PRSOM.
Reply 29
Original post by DylanJ42
well i done M2 during AS and M1 during A2 and my M2 was cashed fine

Maybe that's because you actually took the exams in that order. I was simply trying to re-arrange my maths modules and they didn't allow me to separate M1 and M2 between core and further maths.
Original post by shuu00
Maybe that's because you actually took the exams in that order. I was simply trying to re-arrange my maths modules and they didn't allow me to separate M1 and M2 between core and further maths.

ah i see what you mean, sorry

Quick Reply

Latest