The Student Room Group

Do you believe in evolution?

Scroll to see replies

As a Christian, I believe that God created the heavens and the Earth.
Original post by Just a Bloke
If you were taught that so recently then I don't have a leg to stand on to disagree, as my readings are obviously a number of years off current findings. Do you still have the reading list? In which case I would love to take a gander at more recent papers.

I should add that I'm not a biologist, this was from a compulsory first year cell biology course for non-biologists so it wasn't hugely advanced. The recommended text was this one.
3, but I wouldn't use the word 'believe' because there is no belief involving evolution. It's a scientific event that we have observed to exist, denying its existence is just idiotic. Whilst I think people who have voted 2 are misguided, those who have voted 1 clearly don't seem to understand the concept of a 'fact' based entirely on evidence through things such as the fossil record (inb4 "fossils are just to test the faith of people!"). As for those who voted 2, whilst I can somewhat sympathise for their psychological need for a creator, something to provide purpose, I simply ask you this: why does the existence of life make any difference to the universe? What makes life objectively special? Why is life any different from any other astronomical phenomenon, that just 'happens' regardless of who is or isn't there to observe it? I just don't understand why people have an obsession with viewing life as 'special'; the universe doesn't care whether you're alive or not.
Reply 63
Ancient Astronauts supported checking in
Original post by Bigbeast
As a Christian, I believe that God created the heavens and the Earth.

As an atheist, I will mock your Bronze Age beliefs with snide derision and hope you decide not to reproduce.
Depends, i think people oppose evolution for irrational reasons. it's scientific fact, like gravity. next people would say that how precipitation falls or the water cycle is a plot invented by scientists to **** the world up. This is what many theists say, and most theists somehow detest science.
Of course I believe in evolution. How else would a Bulbasaur evolve into Ivysaur?
Original post by Withengar
As an atheist, I will mock your Bronze Age beliefs with snide derision and hope you decide not to reproduce.

:rofl:
I'd say I believe in 2
I choose 3. :smile:
Do you believe the earth is round? You might as well ask this question, they're both as ridiculous. Evolution is an overwhelmingly supported fact and I think it's rather arrogant to think otherwise. The idea of God was reasonable many years ago when things were unexplained however since science had developed explanations for things I think it's time to move on from religious beliefs as a society. I thought we were the intelligent species?
Believe isn't the right word....
I choose evolution without God. As evolution can be proven by science
3. I go by valuable observations rather than a book with virtually no evidence to support it claims.

Quick Reply

Latest