The Student Room Group

German transcription please?

Hello there. :p:

Ok, been listening to German podcasts (just for fun, really), and can't decode this one because of the bloody accent. Actually, I pick up most of the words, I just can't seem to string them together into sentences very easily. If someone could transcribe the podcast - or at least the first part of it, because I understand most of it after about 30 seconds into it - I'd be very grateful. Oh, and also, whereabouts is this accent from?

Link: http://www.podcast.net/show/19184 - click "play" next to "Weihnachtsabend".

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 1
:eek: What the hell!:rofl: I can't understand a single word of that!!:p: It sounds a bit Dutch to me though:confused:
Reply 2
That's certainly interesting! :p:

If my hearing serves me right, doesn't one of the men say Servus! near the start? So I'd hazard a guess and say it was in an Austrian accent/dialect, albeit a rather heavy one!

We had an Austrian assistant this year and one of the activities we did with her was reading an Asterix and Obelix comic strip written in the dialect spoken in Vienna, some of which the Austrian assitant struggled to understand! E.g. I glaub, do losst sie wos mochin! and I frog mi nua, wos dena Röma fia a legerl Baun woin!

That said, I could be completely wrong in which case I apologise. :smile:
Reply 3
Slightly German-ised version: :smile:

"Grüß dich, Manfred"
"Guten Abend miteinander... Timmi(?), Servus"
"Grüß dich, Manfred, ich habe alles schon hergerichtet"
"Wie schaust denn du schon wieder aus?"
"Ich geh fort!"
"Der will in die Disko gehen."
"Ich hab dir doch neulich erst Geld gegeben, damit du dir neue Klamotten kaufst, und jetzt hast du schon wieder dein zerrissenes Jeanszeug an."

The rest seems more intelligible...
Reply 4
I think that's Bavarian dialect ("Bayrischer Dialekt"). I can understand it but it would last too long to write it all down :smile:
Reply 5
:p:And here's me saying it sounds like it's Dutch!:redface:
Reply 6
Interesting...
Reply 7
gooner1592

Lol I thought that too! You're not alone :biggrin: .
Reply 8
brown
Lol I thought that too! You're not alone :biggrin: .

:five::biggrin:
hobnob
Slightly German-ised version: :smile:

"Grüß dich, Manfred"
"Guten Abend miteinander... Timmi(?), Servus"
"Grüß dich, Manfred, ich habe alles schon hergerichtet"
"Wie schaust denn du schon wieder aus?"
"Ich geh fort!"
"Der will in die Disko gehen."
"Ich hab dir doch neulich erst Geld gegeben, damit du dir neue Klamotten kaufst, und jetzt hast du schon wieder dein zerrissenes Jeanszeug an."

The rest seems more intelligible...

Bloody hell. :s-smilie: Wouldn't have got that. Thanks. :biggrin: Yeah, the rest's fine, thanks.

If anyone's interested, some of the other podcasts (e.g. Herr der Ringe; Endlich Jungfrau; Quizshow) are quite a bit easier to understand. :smile:
Reply 10
Haha. Yeah it sounds a bit like Bayerisch to me. When I lived there we had a lesson on Bayerisch once and it was just like a completely different language to German.
Fooks sake, I hope they don't speak that confusingly in Tübingen or I'm screwed :frown:
Fleece
Haha. Yeah it sounds a bit like Bayerisch to me. When I lived there we had a lesson on Bayerisch once and it was just like a completely different language to German.
Fooks sake, I hope they don't speak that confusingly in Tübingen or I'm screwed :frown:

Nah, Tuebingen's great. They speak with a bit of an accent (Swabian, obviously), but it's not too bad at all. Love that place. :smile:

I suspected this recording was Bayerisch, but really I had no idea. :biggrin:
Reply 12
gooner1592

I thought it sounded quite Dutch too... and I speak Dutch!
Reply 13
generalebriety
Nah, Tuebingen's great. They speak with a bit of an accent (Swabian, obviously), but it's not too bad at all. Love that place. :smile:

I suspected this recording was Bayerisch, but really I had no idea. :biggrin:

Phew! Doesn't help that the man/woman was speaking in a ridiculously squeaky voice!
Reply 14
Tübingen itself probably won't be a problem, but understanding people from the surrounding villages might be. Some of them (especially elderly people) have very strong accents. I can barely understand them, and I'm from Baden-Württemberg.:s-smilie:
Reply 15
kimoso
I thought it sounded quite Dutch too... and I speak Dutch!

:rofl: I see I'm not alone:ninja::p:
hobnob
Tübingen itself probably won't be a problem, but understanding people from the surrounding villages might be. Some of them (especially elderly people) have very strong accents. I can barely understand them, and I'm from Baden-Württemberg.:s-smilie:

Admittedly, that's also true. :p:
Reply 17
I'm quite sure it's Bavarian dialect! :smile:
Alright. Thanks. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending