The Student Room Group

GCSE Motivation Thread

Hello everyone. As we all know, school is just around the corner! Whether you're going into Year 10 about to start your GCSEs, or whether you're going into Year 11 (like I am), I know how intimidating this period can be. However, I'm hoping that this thread will motivate everyone into doing well!

Firstly, I'd just like to assure you all that there's nothing to worry about. GCSEs are just the start of a long, laborious process, so failing them is not the end of the world. Of course, it can be gutting to find out that after putting in so much effort, you've barely managed to scrape a C, but that's no excuse to give up! You can apply to re-sit your papers, get them remarked, take some BTECs or even consider some vocational courses.

I advise you all to go back to school with a positive attitude. Negativity isn't going to get you very far; talking from experience here! Don't feel threatened by the heaps of exams that approach you. Instead, stay optimistic; thinking positively will lead to happiness in the long-term. Being happy will motivate you to revise!

In addition, I advise you all to revise in a way that suits you. Obviously, I can't tell whether you prefer to write notes or not. Only you know what style of learning suits you best, so make sure to revise in a way that suits you and your learning style! Don't feel pressured to write pages of notes if you're more of a creative sort; create mindmaps, spider diagrams, flashcards, etc.

You can do this! You are all more than capable of getting through this year. You *will* do this! As long as you put in the effort, there is no reason why you can't reach your maximum potential. You *will* smash those GCSEs! All your hard work will soon pay off when you're awarded with amazing grades! You *will* get the grades you deserve! I believe in every single one of you; I know you can all do it.

Below are a list of motivation quotes to help get you inspired:

"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will" - Your dreams are more likely to get destroyed by a lack of self-belief than by failure itself. Believe in yourself!

"A year from now, you will wish you had started today" - Basically, if you leave everything until the last minute, you are putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage. You will wish you had put in the effort earlier. I'm talking from genuine experience here; I didn't work as hard as I could've in Year 10 so I just about coasted my modular exams. My advice to you current Year 10's is to work as hard as possible at school and make sure you do your homework as soon as possible. Make sure all deadlines are met. Leaving everything until the last minute will only leave you overloaded with schoolwork, and that will put extra strain on you during exam season.

"Believe you can, and you're halfway there" - This is similar to the first quote I posted. By believing in yourself, you've already given yourself a headstart to success.

Hope that motivates you all! Good luck everyone! Whatever year you're going into, I just hope this thread inspires you to do well.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest