The Student Room Group

Medicine personal statement sport

Medicine personal statement.
The only sport I participate in is yoga and running which I do individually and don't play for any teams or anything and I like visiting the gym. However, i'm not sure how I could link this into my personal statement for medicine as it doesn't necessarily link to the role of being a doctor as easily as playing in a hockey team etc.
Original post by elationgirl
The only sport I participate in is yoga and running which I do individually and don't play for any teams or anything and I like visiting the gym. However, i'm not sure how I could link this into my personal statement for medicine as it doesn't necessarily link to the role of being a doctor as easily as playing in a hockey team etc.

Why are you talking about sport in your PS? Your PS should be about why you want to study the course and the work experience you've done to prove you know what you're letting yourself in for.

Sport in all forms is completely irrelevant to medicine so leave it out the PS
Original post by super_kawaii
Why are you talking about sport in your PS? Your PS should be about why you want to study the course and the work experience you've done to prove you know what you're letting yourself in for.

Sport in all forms is completely irrelevant to medicine so leave it out the PS

I think it's supposed to be a form of extra-curricular activity.

I think you shouldn't worry too much about not doing a lot of sports as extra-curriculars can include things such as debating or organising a disco. If you haven't got any of these then you've still got another month to sign up to an activity and talk about it in your PS. If you really want to discuss the gym, I'd say talk about the dedication and the perseverance required.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
I think it's supposed to be a form of extra-curricular activity. If you are in a hocky team, I'd say that's a much better thing to talk about then mentioning going to the gym as that's quite an achievement and a great example of teamwork skills in action. If you really want to talk about the gym, perseverance and determination can be derived from it but I personally think you'll be wasting characters which you could use somewhere else.

You should only include extra curricular activities if they are relevant to the course OP is applying to. Sport is not relevant to medicine, so OP should not include it
You should only include extra curricular activities if they are relevant to the course OP is applying to. Sport is not relevant to medicine, so OP should not include it

Can he not talk about the skills that could apply to medicine? Like I would've thought the ability to work together in a team and make quick decisions under time pressure could connect directly to medicine! I may be wrong but this is just a thought :P
Original post by studentsixth
Can he not talk about the skills that could apply to medicine? Like I would've thought the ability to work together in a team and make quick decisions under time pressure could connect directly to medicine! I may be wrong but this is just a thought :P

He could, but using more relevant examples, such as volunteering in a care home or medical environment to demonstrate such skills would be far superior to playing hockey occasionally
Reply 6
You probably use yoga as a form of stress relief. This is applicable to medicine in the sense that you have an effective way to relieve the inevitable stresses that the profession entails. You don't have to say all of that but simply indicating you can deal with stress effectively is an advantage and worthy of putting in your personal statement if you have space.
I think any note-worthy extra-curricular activity should be put in your PS to show you are a well-rounded individual. In fact, I know at Oxford's opening day they said they like a couple of lines to get to know you and what your hobbies are and King's website talks about how they love to see debating, sports and music achievements! As it has been said, you being in a hockey team is a really good thing to put down!! Yoga is great for stress relief too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

There's no harm in just mentioning in a little line towards the end that you enjoy Yoga and the gym. If you had space you could say that it's a good way to clear your mind and you enjoy keeping fit etc etc.Even if you just mention it, it can be good in a interview. If they use the PS at the interview, they might pick up on it and allow you to expand on why you enjoy it. It doesn't have to link to medicine. Just shows a different side to you. That you're not an academic robot and you could even link it to show a good work-life balance, way to relax, clear mind etc.Hope this helps
Reply 9
I have to completely disagree with it not being important. Universities want to see you have a life away from study/work. A way to unwind from a stressful and busy course/career. A student I spoke to at one university got rejected from Birmingham because his PS statement showed nothing of who he was as a person. Don't over elaborate and waste words...but make it clear you have a life, hobbies and interests that give you an outlet.
Original post by Alan1980
I have to completely disagree with it not being important. Universities want to see you have a life away from study/work. A way to unwind from a stressful and busy course/career. A student I spoke to at one university got rejected from Birmingham because his PS statement showed nothing of who he was as a person. Don't over elaborate and waste words...but make it clear you have a life, hobbies and interests that give you an outlet.

Everything I included in my offer was strictly relevant to my course and why I was applying for it. I received 5 offers from well respected Russel Group universities within a month of sending off my application, because I included what universities wanted to see
Reply 11

He could, but using more relevant examples, such as volunteering in a care home or medical environment to demonstrate such skills would be far superior to playing hockey occasionally

I'm afraid to say I do disagree with you on this a Personal Statement for medicine should include relevant work experience, volunteering, why you are interested in the course etc. Including aspects such as being involved in sport (of course within a team setting is advantageous as it shows co-operation skills...) and it further shows a balance of extra-curricular activities along with academic work. Yoga in this case wouldn't be bad to include but I guess don't focus on it too much, maybe 'performing yoga helps me to tackle stress...' or something like that would show you keep active. If you feel including something like that wont help then there don't bother adding it..
I'd say put it in but limit it to one line only, don't put in too much that's irrelevant, that can include some aspects of work ex and volunteering as well
Everything I included in my offer was strictly relevant to my course and why I was applying for it. I received 5 offers from well respected Russel Group universities within a month of sending off my application, because I included what universities wanted to see

Good for you. I got into my first choice university for medicine by having a well rounded PS. Different unis have different priorities so it's definitely worth the OP checking what their prospective unis are looking for. But the overwhelming advice I've seen from all sorts of institutions is to be well rounded.

That's great to hear but universities do change their policies over time about who they want and what they want to see. A lot of unis I've considered have wanted to see something like community work, extra-curricular achievements, pass times and hobbies to see how you can balance life outside your work. Maybe not a whole lot of it, maybe just a few lines but they do like to see it and it does count as being relevant to not the course but as a potential doctor who needs to cope with the large workloads.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15

Did you apply for medicine because most medical schools prefer a well rounded individual who has a life outside work to my knowledge.
Just like the others are saying, quite a few uni's stress the importance of having stress relief activities which yoga fits perfectly, and i completely disagree that they're irrelevant. Quite a few unis also want to know how you'll contribute to uni life and you could easily use your sports to indicate participating in sports and societies at the uni, e.g. athletics, mindful meditation etc. (whatever the uni has really) so if you've got space for it you should definitely consider talking about them even if its briefly.
Reply 17

yoga - you know how to relax and destress yourself
running - using the time to clear your mind off, again use it as an example of your gateaway from medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending