The Student Room Group

Start new career, stick with current career or do a PhD? Help!

I graduated with a degree in Modern Languages in 2014. I spent a year working full time and then started a Masters last September in something history related which I just finished. Now I'm going back to the same job full time that I was working at before (although it's a temporary contract, as I'm doing maternity cover). The job is fine but definitely not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm really not sure what to do now!

I'm 25, so not exactly at the very beginning of my working life anymore.

I'm thinking the options are this:
1) Look for something entirely different that appeals to me, changing my CV to emphasise skills from my job/education and cross my fingers that I get something.
2) Stick with my current career but look for a different job, that's hopefully more enjoyable.
3) Stay in academia and apply for PhDs.

The third option does appeal but although I loved studying, I don't have a clear idea of what I want to do for a PhD.

As for my career, I'm really not sure. Plus I've been on crappy money for the past few years and don't really want to go back into something low paid... Any advice?

I currently work in classical music publishing.
Original post by etwas
I graduated with a degree in Modern Languages in 2014. I spent a year working full time and then started a Masters last September in something history related which I just finished. Now I'm going back to the same job full time that I was working at before (although it's a temporary contract, as I'm doing maternity cover). The job is fine but definitely not what I want to do for the rest of my life. I'm really not sure what to do now!

I'm 25, so not exactly at the very beginning of my working life anymore.

I'm thinking the options are this:
1) Look for something entirely different that appeals to me, changing my CV to emphasise skills from my job/education and cross my fingers that I get something.
2) Stick with my current career but look for a different job, that's hopefully more enjoyable.
3) Stay in academia and apply for PhDs.

The third option does appeal but although I loved studying, I don't have a clear idea of what I want to do for a PhD.

As for my career, I'm really not sure. Plus I've been on crappy money for the past few years and don't really want to go back into something low paid... Any advice?

I currently work in classical music publishing.

I don't think there is a theoretical answer to this, it depends on the absolute specifics of your skill sets, your ambitions and yoru application strengths.

Not having an idea for a PhD suggests this is just a pleasant whim to avoid the challenges of making a real decision. You ned to know what you want to research, and what you are going to do afterwards, either in academic terms, or in a career delayed by 3 years for an unnecessary qualification.

You need to start applying to all the change options, ie career change and PhD and see what you are offered, because there isn't a change decision to make, without an offer from somewhere.

So, a thorough and accurate (don't BS yourself and get a lot of honest, external advice, not just family and friends who'll only say positive stuff) appraisal of both your skills and interests, then start making applications a step away from what you are doing now, and a step towards the direction you think it right for you and see where you get in the application process. Review after 10-15 applications.

Quick Reply

Latest