The Student Room Group

What Language for my Computer Science Project?

i want to make a system for my school library that lets the librarian know who has what book but also so the pupils can see when they have to return it. Currently its a paper based, what language should i use to program this project?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would this run on only one machine at a time? Does it need to be web facing (since you mention students accessing it)? And do you already know any languages?

If the answers are Yes, No and No, I'd recommend learning Python and using that, because it's general purpose enough and probably the easiest popular language to learn. It's also super-easy to create abstractions like Book and Student. Depending on the scale of the system, you might also want to incorporate a database, which will bring it's own choice of *language* (DBMS).

If you do know a language already which is suitable for the task, it's probably better to stick with that one.

If it's going to communicate with other machines or be web facing... I'll probably have to write a new and much longer post!

In short, I think you should provide as much information as possible about the project requirements and your own existing knowledge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lavaridge
Would this run on only one machine at a time? Does it need to be web facing (since you mention students accessing it)? And do you already know any languages?

If the answers are Yes, No and No, I'd recommend learning Python and using that, because it's general purpose enough and probably the easiest popular language to learn. It's also super-easy to create abstractions like Book and Student. Depending on the scale of the system, you might also want to incorporate a database, which will bring it's own choice of *language* (DBMS).

If you do know a language already which is suitable for the task, it's probably better to stick with that one.

If it's going to communicate with other machines or be web facing... I'll probably have to write a new and much longer post!

In short, I think you should provide as much information as possible about the project requirements and your own existing knowledge.

I need to use databases and certain complex things, heres the complexity guide: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/253701-project-complexity-guide.pdf

i just dont know which language to go with, i don't really care what i do the project on as long as i can hit most of the complexity guide
Reply 3

I need to use databases and certain complex things, heres the complexity guide: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/253701-project-complexity-guide.pdf

i just dont know which language to go with, i don't really care what i do the project on as long as i can hit most of the complexity guide
Reply 4
Original post by TS21

Does your school not tell you what language to use?

For us we are only allowed to use Python, but we do AQA...
Use Python then, it's the easiest to learn and is easily compatible with all the data storage techniques mentioned in the paper. Is your school not going to teach you a language or guide you through your project? It's quite a lot to conceptually learn by yourself, especially if you're going to be linking to databases.
(edited 7 years ago)

This. I had the exact same scenario for my A level coursework. I had to design a library system for a school which primarily uses a paper-based system.

I decided to use Python for my system. I used SQL for managing the database, and I used the sqlite3 module in Python to access the database.

The system worked very well and I got an A 😃. As I've finished my A levels, I don't really mind helping you out or giving you ideas, so send me a PM if you need anything.
I'm also willing to give some pointers.

I have to add that I'm studying Computing at university and I'm very jealous of the both of you for getting to learn programming at A level :wink:
I'd advise using Python for this project also.

As the user above said, SQL would most likely be the most efficient way of doing this task.
If you don't want to learn SQL commands etc, you'd be best using a CSV module which is pretty similar, but can be a little fiddly.

It would all depend on how many machines it would be run on, how the data needs to be input and how you would like it represented to the user.
I would say just experiment, make a plan and test theories.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending