Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

FPAS applications- Advice

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Hi I've just started my 5th year (not final) and I was wondering if I could get some first hand experience about applying for foundations schools and what my chances are realistically to getting into the South East schools.*

I'm currently in the 8th decile (but my marks for this year will also come into play) so my EPM is looking around 35ish? *I have a 2:1 BSc so that's about 3 marks and from the sounds of the SJT can be fairly unpredictable.*

Could I get into a London foundation school or Oxford? And is it worth me applying for an academic programme as this is something I'm interested in but am worried my EPM is too low.*

Also once you get accepted into a foundation school I've heard jobs are allocated according to your academic performance? If so am I better off applying somewhere else where it's less competitive?*

I was 10th decile, remember the deciles are such a tiny part of your overall score that it's almost not worth worrying about them.

If you work at your SJT you can easily get a score good enough for some of the London schools.

I have been doing some serious number crunching on this to work out my own chances of getting into my preferred deanery. Good fun if you are mathematically or statistically inclined. I am working with the assumptions that the SJT is mostly random, SJT scores should be similar this year to previous years, and none of these deaneries will change in popularity significantly for next year

So you seem to be assuming you'll finish in the ninth decile. That's cool, we'll work with that assumption. And you get 3 extra points for your degree so your EPM is 38.

Over the last 3 years the mean SJT score has been 39.33, with a mean standard deviation of 4.05. So if you assume you'll get an average SJT score, you should get 77.33. If you factor in the standard deviation, you have a 68% chance of getting between 73.28-81.38

Now let's look at the cut offs for the London deaneries. That is, the lowest score of an applicant who was accepted into that deanery (WITHOUT special circumstances). I only have on hand the 2015 numbers to 2 significant figures, but it's just to give an indication that they've been reasonably static for the last 2 years at least

North West Thames. 2016 - 84.23. 2015 - 84

North Central Thames. 2016 - 81.64. 2015 - 81

North East Thames 2016 - 77.88. 2015 - 77

South Thames. 2016 76.58. 2015 - 77.78

Looking at these figures, you'd have to do pretty well to get into North Central, and really smash it to get into North West. But if you perform just slightly above average on the SJT, you should be able to get into North East or South Thames. That's great, 50% of people score above the average!

So yes, you have every chance of getting into a South East deanery. About a 50% chance by my reckoning. But also a 50% chance you won't make it. Kind of crazy huh

One way to look at it as well is about the jobs you'll be doing. In many ways this will have the biggest impact on you. If you come bottom in a deanery you'll have a lot less choice with jobs. If you come higher up in a less competitive deanery you'll be more likely to influence where exactly you end up and what you'll be doing. This is especially important in big deaneries. Like there's a huge different between being in Stevenage or being in Great Yarmouth... Between getting a central London job and being in Southend. Or wanting Leeds but ending up in Hull. And say you want a particular job like paeds, or to avoid psych at all costs... Whatever floats your boat. Again, if you apply with a poorer score to a more competitive deanery you decrease the likelihood you can influence this.

TL;DR sometimes there are arguments for applying to less competitive deaneries which actually make sense for your own life plans.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.