The Student Room Group

ukcat

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I'll just go on asking...

Now that UKCAT testings have begun I'm starting to worry a lot about the test itself....

I'm not a native-speaker, so I suppose that I will have some difficulties with all those questions...

Furthermore, there aren't a lot of books which help you to prepare for the test (I know they always say that you don't need to prepare for the UKCAT, but...)...

Does anyone know any books which can help me for the UKCAT??? And what do you think of all those preparation courses????
Reply 1
Its a general knowledge thing, try the practise zip on their site...asks about Mount Everest etc.
Reply 2
I can assure you that the English you used in your post is significantly better than that spoken by many native speakers! I think you will be fine in that regard :biggrin:
Reply 3
It can't really be 'revised' or read up on - thats the point in it - it tests skills, not knowledge; of course, skills can be enhanced, and I would say that practising the speciment questions on the website would be advisable.

I still think, however, that the UKCAT is a waste of time (& money!!!), because numerous consultants I have spoke to this year can't even do it that well - I think the BMAT is a much truer test of the skills they're after. I suspect the UKCAT is just another way to make yet more money out of you...
Reply 4
I think your more likely to get more answers in the Medicine/Veterinary section, as they are the degrees that use UKCAT, so it might be worth getting it moved so you get more advice.

As has already been said, the test is not meant to be revised from.
From what I've heard the preparation courses are a complete waste of money. I think if you can get your hands on a cheap book (ebay, amazon, friend, whatever) then it might be worth reading it a week before. I have the 'Preparing for UKCAT & BMAT' book which i got cheaply from ebay, which i had a quick flick through. It doesn't give you masses of help, but it points out thing which you might not have thought about before.

For example in the reading section the passage said something about 16-18 year olds. The question then said something about leaving school age. Now although we know the leaving school age is 16-18, it doesnt state that in the passage, so little things like that were brought to my attention through the book, which i wouldnt have thought about before :smile:
Reply 5
coffeym
I can assure you that the English you used in your post is significantly better than that spoken by many native speakers! I think you will be fine in that regard :biggrin:

Thanks for the compliment...:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending