The Student Room Group

Junior doctor strike is disgraceful

Scroll to see replies

Original post by #ChaosKass
It's disgusting - surely the reason these people decided to become doctors was to help people. They should be embracing the plans for a 7-day NHS with open arms.

Original post by JamesN88
There's already a seven day NHS.

^ This. I keep hearing people having a go at Junior doctors for obstructing plans for a 7 day NHS. It's as if they think all the hospitals close on a weekend...

Junior doctors aren't the problem. It's the Government and their reluctance to fund the NHS properly. The NHS already needs more money. Now Hunt is asking hospitals to do more without the additional resources needed.

A cynic might think that Hunt and his chums want the plan to fail - so that they can point to the mess (that they created, but you'll have forgotten this) and say it justifies privatisation.

It really does say something when the very people we trust with our care are labelled as radicals, while a Government intent on cutting public services to the bone is allowed to get away with it.
Original post by controversialone
I think they shud man up and do what they are paid for

Not sure if you're a troll or not. Junior doctors get paid f**k-all, like low £20k a year, and are now being made to work ridiculous hours. I think it's more than fair enough that they're striking - something has to stem the tide of the Tories trying to privatise the NHS.
It's disgusting - surely the reason these people decided to become doctors was to help people. They should be embracing the plans for a 7-day NHS with open arms.

There already is one - operations and emergency care still occur at the weekends, and hospitals are still open. Assuming you're looking more towards GP clinics and being able to have an appointment sunday lunch time - that's not a junior doctor thing and besides that, the funding is barely there for a 5 day NHS (read: the NHS as is); cutting funds and extending is just going to bring about ruin and endanger people. Their opposition to Jeremy **** is about helping people.

na

Posted from TSR Mobile

The issue here is the NHS is 7 days, as a medical student I went into medicine to help treat sick and vulnerable people, and that hasnt changed. I know I will be working overtime after 12 hour shifts, i will be working nights, on call and at weekends for the pay packet detailed, that isnt the issue. The issue is the fact that Jeremy Hunt wants to impose a 7 day NHS (we already have 7 day emergency but he wants 7 day elective also) with no extra funding and no extra doctors (or other NHS staff members for that matter)!
As many juniors will tell you rota gaps are common place today as juniors jobs are simply not being filled, juniors are having to work overtime to fill these gaps when they already work more than the average person would in a week anyway, and remember these people are still learning. I wouldnt want a tired, overworked junior doctor treating one of my family members, and your telling me these doctors should embrace the plans which are going to make the doctors more overworked, and you trust the people who cover 5 days of elective to stretch that to 7 with no extra funding or workforce? Are you mad, its just going to cause mayhem and it is totally unsafe for patients.
Doctors havent had a pay rise in many years (cannot remember the exact figure) hence our pay doesnt go up with inflation like most other peoples will, this contract will also hinder people taking time out of work to have children and will extend our unsocial hours meaning people working them now will be set for a pay decrease.
Doctors are standing up against the government to prevent an unsafe, understaffed NHS, to prevent more doctors becoming so low in moral that they chose to leave this country for better prospects elsewhere, but most importantly they are standing up to save the NHS the patients know and love and use each day without having to worry about whether to pay the gas bill or medical bill!
Original post by Quantex
Are these the same scummy doctors that you'll beg for help from when you or a family member need it?

They don't "help" anyone out of the goodness of their hearts, we pay them.

So yeah, putting their own greed ahead of their patient's welfare is pretty scummy.

What would you call it? Noble? Principled?
Original post by Natalierm2707
The issue here is the NHS is 7 days, as a medical student I went into medicine to help treat sick and vulnerable people, and that hasnt changed. I know I will be working overtime after 12 hour shifts, i will be working nights, on call and at weekends for the pay packet detailed, that isnt the issue. The issue is the fact that Jeremy Hunt wants to impose a 7 day NHS (we already have 7 day emergency but he wants 7 day elective also) with no extra funding and no extra doctors (or other NHS staff members for that matter)!
As many juniors will tell you rota gaps are common place today as juniors jobs are simply not being filled, juniors are having to work overtime to fill these gaps when they already work more than the average person would in a week anyway, and remember these people are still learning. I wouldnt want a tired, overworked junior doctor treating one of my family members, and your telling me these doctors should embrace the plans which are going to make the doctors more overworked, and you trust the people who cover 5 days of elective to stretch that to 7 with no extra funding or workforce? Are you mad, its just going to cause mayhem and it is totally unsafe for patients.
Doctors havent had a pay rise in many years (cannot remember the exact figure) hence our pay doesnt go up with inflation like most other peoples will, this contract will also hinder people taking time out of work to have children and will extend our unsocial hours meaning people working them now will be set for a pay decrease.
Doctors are standing up against the government to prevent an unsafe, understaffed NHS, to prevent more doctors becoming so low in moral that they chose to leave this country for better prospects elsewhere, but most importantly they are standing up to save the NHS the patients know and love and use each day without having to worry about whether to pay the gas bill or medical bill!

#Thread
This is why I use a private hospital for all my health care needs.

My dog receives a better service and better care from the veterinary group I use, than people receive from the NHS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
I agree. It's all about the money, and a lot of the people of the top have an inate hatred for the Tories, so want to make them look bad.

If it's for greater funds for a 7 day NHS, why do they also want a non-proportional pay rise?

At no stage during this dispute have junior doctors asked for a pay rise. This is complete fiction and is a sign that you've failed to engage with the argument.

A 7-day NHS is a fantastic concept, but you can't just flog a dead horse until it produces an extra 40% efficiency.A 7-day NHS that isn't properly planned, funded and manned is a dangerous concept.

How can you provide 2 more additional days of extra elective care when the 5 day system is already falling apart? We're facing the biggest acute care crisis the NHS has ever seen, and Jeremy Hunt believes the solution is to perform toenail operations on a sunday evening. As it stands, A&E and maternity departments are CLOSING because there isn't enough staff to man them. Where are these 2 extra days of service going to come from?!

Junior doctors are trying to WARN this country that the government is steamrolling an UNSAFE plan. Opposing this is a means of helping people by preventing harm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending