The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

I am torn between two degrees?

I am torn between two very different degrees, one degree I want to do because I am so passionate about - whereas the other will near enough guarantee me a career out of it. I would love to do Philosophy and politics but fear It will leave me with limited career prospects, whereas Business and Financial Management would probably give me good options.

In my A levels I got -
A* Religious Studies
A Geography
B Psychology
B General Studies.

The Geography is an AS so I am finishing the A2 off this year and in psychology basically I got two Bs at AS which equals 70UMS each so 140UMS. Then at A2 I got a C in unit 3 but I got an A in unit 4 which was 95UMS so I'm thinking of resitting unit 3 to try and get 95UMS and get an A overall with 320 UMS.

Help or advice please?
B
I doubt very much that Business and Financial Management would guarantee you a career. If you're not interested in business then it would be a huge mistake to study it at uni, not least because studying a subject you don't love increases your chances of getting a bad grade - and ultimately your class of degree matters much more to employers than the subject you studied.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
As someone who has swapped their degree 3 times I can tell you go for the one you like more. Honestly, you could do the degree with the best career option in the world but if your heart's not in it your chance of getting a decent job won't be that great anyway! Lots of people do Business as well, the competition is huge and that will put more pressure on you if you're not completely comfortable in that area.

Most employers also look for someone who is well-rounded and interesting outside of their specialization. Go for something you love and fill your time with different pursuits and you'll be an interesting candidate. I heard of someone who did Archaeology and they managed to get a position in a big finance company because the interviewer found them to be interesting and organized, and who could work in a team.

You only go to uni once make the most of it and enjoy yourself! Don't look back on the years and think you wasted them!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending