The Student Room Group

I don't know if you discuss this kind of staff but.. Is a 45 commute to Uni too long?

Long story short when I graduated high school at 19 (there was a mandatory extra year) I went straight away to Uni, but 7 months in I hated my major. So I took the next year off, I did some traveling, soul searching, took some free photography, cooking and yoga classes. Anyhow, now at 21 I am starting Uni again, this Uni is not as prestigious as the other one, but I chose the right major at least. The thing is I chose to commute to school every day, it's a 45 minute drive to the next town and I am going to be staying at home which is a good thing b/c I won't have to pay any rent and I get to keep my part time job. Something is bothering me though and I keep changing my mind every 2 seconds, I haven't lived on my own besides those 7 months. And I keep thinking that I will be the odd one out, that I will be marginalized and feel outcasted. But the reality is that I am not a party girl, I will be older than most of the freshmen and I am more of the bookworm so I am more interested in the academic aspect of Uni. What I am really asking is: is it a 45min commute too long ? And will I ever be able to live on my own if I am still staying at home at 21?

English is not my first language so please be kind

Scroll to see replies

A 45 minute commute is not a problem :smile: I'm planning on doing that this year, whilst also living at home (22 years old) so don't worry about it! You'll be fine. Best of luck! Oh and your english is excellent.
(edited 7 years ago)
This makes very little sense. There are thousands of students who commute from home, even from further away.
Reply 3
Thanks for your quick response and your advice.
Reply 4
Original post by Mk346
Long story short when I graduated high school at 19 (there was a mandatory extra year) I went straight away to Uni, but 7 months in I hated my major. So I took the next year off, I did some traveling, soul searching, took some free photography, cooking and yoga classes. Anyhow, now at 21 I am starting Uni again, this Uni is not as prestigious as the other one, but I chose the right major at least. The thing is I chose to commute to school every day, it's a 45 minute drive to the next town and I am going to be staying at home which is a good thing b/c I won't have to pay any rent and I get to keep my part time job. Something is bothering me though and I keep changing my mind every 2 seconds, I haven't lived on my own besides those 7 months. And I keep thinking that I will be the odd one out, that I will be marginalized and feel outcasted. But the reality is that I am not a party girl, I will be older than most of the freshmen and I am more of the bookworm so I am more interested in the academic aspect of Uni. What I am really asking is: is it a 45min commute too long ? And will I ever be able to live on my own if I am still staying at home at 21?

English is not my first language so please be kind

What is your first language? Your english is very good! And no the commute is not too long.
Must you start each post with 'erm'? If you could offer a logical reason as to why a 45 minute car journey is so ridiculous, that'd be great.
Reply 6
Original post by MrBean1994
A 45 minute commute is not a problem :smile: I'm planning on doing that this year, whilst also living at home (22 years old) so don't worry about it! You'll be fine. Best of luck! Oh and your english is excellent.
Thanks for the quick response... I am glad I am not the only one , hope you have a great start and the best of luck to you too!!! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Gadero
What is your first language? Your english is very good! And no the commute is not too long.

Oh thanks:smile: My first language is Greek :smile:
Thanks for the quick feedback!!!
I think 45 minutes is a long way to go, but if you really don't want to move away then I wouldn't. If you have lived away from home before for 7 months you still have that experience and would be able to move out in the future
Reply 9
45 minute commute isn't long, I've commuted just over that to university last year. Still going to commute for my second year. It will cost me £530 for the whole year 😃
Well as the OP will be commuting from home, she will be saving a decent amount of money on accommodation and so paying for fuel will not be an issue. Who runs to university? Weak, weak arguments.
Plus many universities don't allow on campus parking, and have various policies on car ownership.

Your choice of words is very American so are we talking a uk uni?

When I was at 6th form college I commuted for 90 mins each way.
Social events were a pain but not impossible
At uni it depends on the course if evening work is expected /normal or if they generally run 9-6
Reply 12
Original post by OwlOfFire
I think 45 minutes is a long way to go, but if you really don't want to move away then I wouldn't. If you have lived away from home before for 7 months you still have that experience and would be able to move out in the future

Thanks for the response ... You are right I did live on my once before I could always do it again, but I am scared that I will just get too comfortable and not be willing to move out ( and always be that girl that is stuck living with her parents). Obviously up until I graduate I will be a different person (much older and more mature) and all I'll want is to move out...
Reply 13
Original post by domonict
Plus many universities don't allow on campus parking, and have various policies on car ownership.

Your choice of words is very American so are we talking a uk uni?

When I was at 6th form college I commuted for 90 mins each way.
Social events were a pain but not impossible
At uni it depends on the course if evening work is expected /normal or if they generally run 9-6

I am not American but i have family from the US ( so that's why my choice of word seems American) actually my first language is Greek.

I am talking about a Uni in my country not the UK ...

Parking and car policies won't be an issue.

I have a friend who lives close to campus which means I could crush there in case of an event I want to attend (she has a roommate though i don't know how frequently I could be able to do this )
The schedule is not 100 percent sure but hopefully I won't have evening work ...
I do an hour by train and it's fine! Not so great when I was pregnant but a good time to relax and read before my lectures :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by loooopppyyy
45 minute drive to Uni is fine, ignore phd2027.

For the last year I've been commuting to and from work for an hour at a time (50 mile drive/ 100 both ways).

When I start University in September I will be commuting from home (40 mile drive/ 80 both ways), its not a big deal if you don't mind driving.

I have my daughter over the weekends so student accomodation is a no go for me, also rental prices are far cheaper where I live (currently £300 per month in a 2 bedroom terrace house!), so the savings I make on accomodation cover my petrol costs!! :smile:

I don't mind the driving, though if I don't want to drive on a particular day there is a bus - it takes about 15mintes longer but I don't mind- the gas prices are somewhat high in my country but compared to the rent prices I will be saving so much more. Thanks for the response
Commuting can be draining but 45 mins in manageable, I'm guessing you won't be in every day anyway.

Anything over an hour is grim.
Reply 17
Original post by Ishax
45 minute commute isn't long, I've commuted just over that to university last year. Still going to commute for my second year. It will cost me £530 for the whole year 😃

Thanks for the response, wow you are saving a lot!!! Wow!
I think that if this year goes well I may choose commuting for next year. I will be saving up ( not as much as you of course) but I will be saving up a lot!!
Reply 18
Original post by JamesN88
Commuting can be draining but 45 mins in manageable, I'm guessing you won't be in every day anyway.

Anything over an hour is grim.

No I most probably won't be in every day! I will have a day off.
I don't think I would have wanted to do it if the commute lasted over an hour.

Thanks for the response!
Original post by Mk346
Thanks for the response, wow you are saving a lot!!! Wow!
I think that if this year goes well I may choose commuting for next year. I will be saving up ( not as much as you of course) but I will be saving up a lot!!

It depends on where you live, try to look on the websites for discounts. They usually have student offers aswell. I also get a maintenance grant, which I've been saving and I also work part time. I've only used my grant for travelling cost.

Do you have your timetable yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending