The Student Room Group

FPAS and FY1+2 applications = where to go? benefits of each; any resources?

Hey all; final year med student here.
Was wondering if anyone had any resources about the benefits/experiences of each area; as I have to apply by the end of the month.

So far:

London Pros: it's London Cons: cost.etc, can be tricky to get into it
Wales.etc Pros: free accommodation

Something along these lines... (but hopefully a bit more thorough); thanks in advance
Reply 1
Any pros/cons list is necessarily individualised. You need to think about what is important to YOU about where you live and work.

Looking at the same list, I would say:

London. Pros - ???? Cons - literally everything

Wales. Pros - can go rural/coastal, good distance from parents. Cons - mild dread at the prospect of working in any hospital my brother has already worked in

See, not even similar
Hi @tianuk3,

There's lots of data on the GMC website, which I thought might be helpful for your research. It's from the national training survey, where doctors in training and trainers feed back on the quality of their local training.

You can see it here - the online tool lets you search by foundation school, NHS trust/board or LETB/deanery and you can filter the results by specialty too.

Hope it helps!
Tanita
I'm a final year, some of the questions I'd ask yourself are:
- Do you want to stay near/relatively near where you've trained? Any ties? Do you like the hopsitals and trusts where you've trained, can the Foundation doctors there tell you which trusts are the better ones to work in?
- Do you want to live near family/certain friends?
- How rural are you willing to go? The majority of UoA's have a good sized city or more in, but overall some are much more rural than others
- Cost of living?
- Do you want to know your F2 jobs right from the start, or are you happy to apply for F2 jobs after you've started F1?

I don't think being tricky to get into should necessarily count as a con, I'd pay much more attention to where you want to live and work. You might well get a good SJT, so rank on where you want to end up.

For me - London Pros - Erm. Good public transport actually. London has some cool things to do? Cons - Everything else. It's too big and crowded, rush hour is a nightmare, it's ridiculously expensive, people are less friendly etc

Wales - don't know enough about it, but it's not in my top 5 because of transport/distance from family. It is very beautiful in places, I've enjoyed holidays in various parts of Wales a lot, and it's one of the cheaper areas in the UK.

I love the North for what it's worth. Much cheaper and IMO friendlier than down South, some fantastic areas and loads of things to do. I moved up from the Midlands for uni, I'd happily stay here long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending