Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scratched a Car - What now?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Firstly I would like to say I understand that I am FULLY in the wrong a deserve whatever is coming for me, I just want to know how the process works and what to expect.

On Wednesday I was in a paid multi story car park, as I was reversing out of my space my car kept stalling over and over. I have been driving since the end of May and when I get nervous it just keeps happening. When I reversed out I saw that the car next to mine had a slight scratch on the front left side that wasn't there before, there was already a queue of cars behind me and I was panicked so I drove away. When I arrived home I checked my car, I had a slight scratch on my car parallel to where the other car would have been. There was no force or noise so I wasn't sure if I had scratched it until checking my car.

Obviously I know that the scratch must've been me, and the car park had CCTV so I assume the driver would follow this up.

What happens next? I know I can receive from 5-10 points and a fine of up to £5000 for leaving. I would like to know if the police will come knock on my door, or if I will receive a letter in the post being charged with the offences, or both?

Contact the car park, explain that you didn't think you hit it at the time but when you got home (and saw the damage) you realised you must have. Ask them to review footage and send you the details. Even if they don't, you will have a paper trail in case the other car reports you to their insurance.

Most likely outcome is the other party involved will just mutter obscenities and ignore it. If they do pursue it, you'll likely just get a letter from insurance company letting you know.

Best thing to do is stop worrying, it is highly likely nothing will ever come of it.

Just a quick tip on the stalling front, when you stall just take a deep breath before trying again - I'm the same and it works for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't do anything, 90% of the time people won't speak to the place about cctv. Even if the cctv saw you it probably isn't high enough quality to make out your plate.

Lol nothing's gonna happen

You're a new driver still, this is gonna be your life for the next few months
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.