Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Welsh student prescriptions in England

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    So I have epilepsy and have to get my prescription every three weeks but as a Welsh student would I have to pay for it in an English university or does NHS Wales come in to it?

    You'll have to pay for it (unless you can get an exemption certificate - have a look online for that, but I know just being a university student won't qualify you for that). For the free prescriptions in Wales you need to be registered with a doctor in Wales and pick it up from a Welsh pharmacy.

    I forgot you pay for prescriptions in England and I was very confused when I was asked to pay for mine the first time

    EDIT: I had a quick look and if your form of epilepsy needs 'continuous anti convulsive therapy' you can get an exemption certification, so you'll get your prescriptions for free. You can apply for it online or (I think!) you can do it at a pharmacy.

    Because you have epilepsy, you apply for the exemption through your GP.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.