The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Applying to York for 2017

Hello!

Are you thinking of applying to York for 2017 entry? Here you ask meet and chat to other applicants and ask us questions about the application process, studying or living in York, and uni life in general.

You can also ask us questions through Twitter on @UniOfYork, or email [email protected].

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of York
Hello!

Are you thinking of applying to York for 2017 entry? Here you ask meet and chat to other applicants and ask us questions about the application process, studying or living in York, and uni life in general.

You can also ask us questions through Twitter on @UniOfYork, or email [email protected].

What is the support like for people with mental health problems?
University of York
York
Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd
What is the support like for people with mental health problems?

Hiya,

The University offers a range of support services, both for those who are dealing with the normal anxieties of student life and those with more substantial needs. There are self-help tips and information covering common problems (such as academic pressure and low self-esteem) on the website, along with our mental health pages, which cover more clinical issues. There are also links to other organisations who may be able to help on these pages.

These webpages are being updated with new content and information over the next few months, so keep checking back for more information :smile:.

The Open Door team can assist students with psychological or mental health difficulties, offering up to three short sessions to deal with specific issues, counselling of up to six sessions, and longer term case management for students with more substantial needs.

There are also a variety of workshops and groups that offer support and guidance on a range of issues. The Open Door team can provide further information on the workshops and groups, but please note that some are run by our colleges and individuals outside the team and will be booked separately.

The Open Door team can also sign-post to other organisations that may help and we would encourage students to register with a doctor when they arrive - you can do that with Unity Health at the health centre on campus.

Please let me know if you have any more questions, and I hope that helps! :smile:

Katie
Reply 3
Hi

I'd like to apply to York for Molecular Cell Biology.
At other universities I'm applying for Biochemistry as they don't have this specific course.

Will I be at a disadvantage with my personal statement if I don't reference the course name at York directly, but do reference Biochemistry?

Thanks
Original post by Jamz-5
Hi

I'd like to apply to York for Molecular Cell Biology.
At other universities I'm applying for Biochemistry as they don't have this specific course.

Will I be at a disadvantage with my personal statement if I don't reference the course name at York directly, but do reference Biochemistry?

Thanks

Hiya,

Don't worry - you won't be at a disadvantage as everyone else will be in the same position as you with different course titles :smile: Our advice would be to write about what interests you and why, and about any experience you have to support those interests. That will help your personal statement to sound genuine, and will show your personality!

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Katie
Hello!

Hello!
I've sent off my UCAS application to York and I was wondering how long it will be before I get a reply. I've applied for chemistry.
Thank you!
Reply 6
Hello!

Hello!
I'm very much in the same boat as the user above. I wish to apply to two of your courses, applied social sciences, and sociology with social psychology. However, my personal statement is tailored to fit my application to a social sciences degree. I wondered whether this would put me at a disadvantage and if I should try and reword it to fit a broader spectrum that doesn't specify one degree type.

Would I be able to apply to york (entry via year 1)whilst currently studying at RHUL and retaking my A2 grades to meet your requirements. I got BBC in bio econ and maths . If I was to retake my A2 exams and still be studying at another university, would my application via UCAS to you put me at a disadvantage? My application would be in this current cycle. I didnt do well in yr 13 due to illness i was predicted A* A B.
Original post by Cluelesskitten
Hello!
I've sent off my UCAS application to York and I was wondering how long it will be before I get a reply. I've applied for chemistry.
Thank you!

Hi! I'm not a student at York currently but I did a deferred entry last October and they got back to me with my offer within a week of me sending my application!
Original post by ChloeMai
Hello!
I'm very much in the same boat as the user above. I wish to apply to two of your courses, applied social sciences, and sociology with social psychology. However, my personal statement is tailored to fit my application to a social sciences degree. I wondered whether this would put me at a disadvantage and if I should try and reword it to fit a broader spectrum that doesn't specify one degree type.

Hi Chloe,

I've had a chat to the Admissions Tutor for Social Policy And Social Work, which runs the Applied Social Sciences course.

She suggests that, as the courses are run by different departments, you should consider which course you'd rather do and tailor your personal statement accordingly :smile: If you are applying for social sciences courses at other universities, it makes sense to have your personal statement tailored to the Applied Social Sciences course.

However, if you would really love to do Sociology with Social Psychology, then you could consider focusing your personal statement principally on this course, but also highlighting your interest in social sciences in general.

I understand it can be tricky to balance! I'd think about which of the courses you find yourself most interested in, and that you'd most like to study, and write your personal statement accordingly!

Katie :smile:
Original post by JackHuples
Would I be able to apply to york (entry via year 1)whilst currently studying at RHUL and retaking my A2 grades to meet your requirements. I got BBC in bio econ and maths . If I was to retake my A2 exams and still be studying at another university, would my application via UCAS to you put me at a disadvantage? My application would be in this current cycle. I didnt do well in yr 13 due to illness i was predicted A* A B.

Hiya,

I'd recommend you get in touch with our undergraduate admissions team - you can email [email protected] or give them a call on 01904 324000. If you explain your situation, they'll be able to offer further advice! :smile:

Many thanks

Katie
Original post by Cluelesskitten
Hello!
Thank you!

Hiya,

This might be a little late, but I've had a chat with the department and they say they usually get in touch within 3-4 days, although sometimes it can be a little bit longer.

Hope that helps!

Katie :smile:
hi
i was just wondering how do you level out predicted grades like A*BC when the entry requirements are AAA
What are each accomodations known for? ie party block/academic block?
Original post by heather0987
hi
i was just wondering how do you level out predicted grades like A*BC when the entry requirements are AAA

Hi Heather,

That all depends on each department - there's no easy answer. Sometimes it depends what subject you are predicted A* in, sometimes the quality of your personal statement or other experience can affect the offer you are given. I would recommend contacting the Admissions Tutor of the department you're interested in and asking for further advice. They'll be able to let you know more information about how that particular department make offers.

Hope that helps :smile:

Katie
Reply 15
What are admissions like for BTEC students?
Hi,
I'm applying to the psychology in education course but as there are only 2 of that course in the UK (I believe) I'm also applying for educational psychology and developmental psychology at other universities. Will this be really bad for my personal statement?
Original post by JooW
What are admissions like for BTEC students?

Hi,

That depends on the course you're applying for. If you search for the course you're interested in using our course finder and click on the 'see full entry requirements' tab, you'll be able to see our entry requirements for BTEC for that particular course.

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Katie
Original post by EmilyJade1999
Hi,
I'm applying to the psychology in education course but as there are only 2 of that course in the UK (I believe) I'm also applying for educational psychology and developmental psychology at other universities. Will this be really bad for my personal statement?

Hi Emily,

Don't worry - it won't affect your personal statement too much. I would focus on the course you are most interested in applying for and try to tailor your personal statement accordingly, but also keep elements of it broad enough to cover the other courses.

You can always email the admissions tutor at [email protected], to ask for more specific advice with your personal statement!

I hope that's helpful :smile:

Katie
Hi,

Ive applied to Biology at York with a medicine personal statement, will this hinder my application?
Also when should I expect a response, my application was sent off today.
My achieved grades are
A* Biology
A* Psychology
A Chemistry
A French
A general studies

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest