Scroll to see replies

Original post by SkyRees

YOU'RE A HUGE NERD

See? Not mock free :wink:

(jk im proud of you)

AHAHAHA that was brilliant :lol:

(thank you!!)
Original post by NiamhM1801

Thank you - they did I think, not too sure about physics but I'll be finding out on Monday!
It is a bit haha, why did you start off that way round? Ah cool - I thought it was weird to like it :tongue:, I suppose it'll take a bit of getting used to but it'll be okay I reckon :smile:

Awwr well at least they're done now:tongue: and we started the other way because apparently a lot of people struggle with mechanics the most so they wanted to do the hardest bit early so that we can revise it throughout the year. I guess its a good idea but I like do things in order lol:biggrin:
Original post by leopard923
Awwr well at least they're done now:tongue: and we started the other way because apparently a lot of people struggle with mechanics the most so they wanted to do the hardest bit early so that we can revise it throughout the year. I guess its a good idea but I like do things in order lol:biggrin:

Ahh yeah that is a good idea, although apparently people struggle most with the Waves section of the exam (and I can see why ahaha) so I'd want loads of time for that one.
I like doing things in order too and I'm happy we are, it was the thing that wound me up the most about GCSE sciences!! :tongue:
Ahh yeah that is a good idea, although apparently people struggle most with the Waves section of the exam (and I can see why ahaha) so I'd want loads of time for that one.
I like doing things in order too and I'm happy we are, it was the thing that wound me up the most about GCSE sciences!! :tongue:

I suppose the whole of physics is just hard lol:biggrin: I'm looking forward to particles more than waves though, waves look quite difficult from what I see in my textbook !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suppose the whole of physics is just hard lol:biggrin: I'm looking forward to particles more than waves though, waves look quite difficult from what I see in my textbook !

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is, the new spec is just brutal!! But we'll do well, we've got 2 years to get this stuff nailed so let's do it! :u:
Yes, particles is super interesting and I bet you'll like it. I find it's one of those things that once you learn it you just remember. The radiation half is a bit trickier but still really interesting! Waves is like the exact opposite - it's far from interesting and I just can't seem to get the content to stay in my head at all! The concepts aren't so hard though, so if you're good with that kind of thing you'll be fine :h:
It is, the new spec is just brutal!! But we'll do well, we've got 2 years to get this stuff nailed so let's do it! :u:
Yes, particles is super interesting and I bet you'll like it. I find it's one of those things that once you learn it you just remember. The radiation half is a bit trickier but still really interesting! Waves is like the exact opposite - it's far from interesting and I just can't seem to get the content to stay in my head at all! The concepts aren't so hard though, so if you're good with that kind of thing you'll be fine :h:

Hopefully we can :tongue: I saw the antiparticle stuff and was like woah this is interesting. I hope I don't find waves too boring though lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
13/01/2017 - Night update

Aaah sorry for forgetting again yesterday!! I need to not get back into the habit of doing that! Joint update again it is...

12/01/2017
Free: Did my physics homework in a rush (which I'm kinda glad that I didn't put loads of effort into it as she didn't collect it in :tongue:)

Maths: We started Core 2 and learnt the Trapezium Rule as a substitute for integrating "tricky curves" :lol:, which I thought was pretty neat :smile: I've started working in pencil in maths, as I hated how messy my Core 1 book got towards the end and I'd love this one to be neater :tongue: (always a fussy one for neatness!)
15991605_1009790679126740_1140794181_o.jpg

Physics (lesson 1): We carried on with mechanics (obviously) but this time we moved on a little bit to look at vectors in equilibrium. It was a slight step up from the last lesson but still relatively easy - it's all still based around basic trigonometry so it's not so bad. I did get slightly confused at one point but it was just because I was overcomplicating it massively :redface:

Physics (lesson 2): Electricity lesson, and I can't really remember what we did aaaaa. I think it was some questions to do with the links between potential difference, current and resistance in series and parallel circuits, but I'm honestly not sure :s-smilie:

After school: Spent the afternoon with my grandma, we had lunch and sorted out some bank stuff for me, then went and did a little bit of shopping and discussed my birthday plans, which I'm so so excited about!! :biggrin: didn't get any work done, apart from finishing off the last 2 mechanics questions for maths that I hadn't done yet. But I was pretty tired so I allowed myself it (I do this wayyyy too much though!!)

13/01/2017
Maths (mechanics): we looked at vectors and vector sums, and then finding resultant vectors from combining more than one - so basically exactly what we did in physics yesterday and on Monday!! It was all really easy, especially since it was pretty much exactly the same thing I'd just been doing before. I'm really glad we're doing this physics unit now, as there is already quite a bit of overlap so I'll just get double the practice! :biggrin:

Study period: I did most of my further maths homework on matrices, although I didn't finish it all and there were little bits here and there I couldn't do. I'll have another look at it over the weekend and see if I can make any improvements and get it finished :smile:

Maths: We got our Core 1 mocks back (but as I still haven't got physics back I won't say how I did yet) so spent a while checking and making corrections to those before starting a different Core 1 past paper. I barely touched the second paper, me and a few others in our class were mainly just discussing the mock and how we want to improve in advance of the real thing, which was nice to hear about from them :h:

After school: Seeing as it's now the weekend and I have an absolutely minimal amount of homework, I started planning stuff out for my EPQ. I think I have my question sorted now at least (although possibly not quite yet), and I've written out what main ideas I want to talk about in it, along with a load of mini sub-questions which I'll answer through my research. My aim with planning it out like this is so that as I collect my research my essay sort of writes itself, and all I have to do is make the information transition smoothly and back anything up with explanations of how it links back to my question. I hope it turns out to be effective, as I really don't want all that to be a massive waste of time!! :s-smilie:

Right guys that's everything for these two days, I'm aiming to get back into daily updating again from Monday (there'll be nothing over the weekend as usual, unless I do enough to merit one) so until then goodbye! :h: x
13/01/2017 - Extra Forgotten Bit

Oh my god, I CANNOT BELIEVE that I forgot to mention this earlier!!! (I'm so sorry about this!)

So as most, if not all, of you will know, I applied for a scheme run by Durham University called Supported Progression, which is supposed to make the transition to university easier by offering 2 different residentials (one of which being a summer school in which you get assessed on a mini-project). If you complete the summer school project to a high enough standard, you gain a guaranteed offer for Durham for any course relating to the subject you chose, and this offer is usually 2 grades lower than the standard offer. On top of this, you'll also get a pretty hefty bursary to help with, well, any student expenses I imagine!!

Responses to this started going out on Friday, and on Monday I got this little email...:
16107046_1009790022460139_2065720986_o.jpg

I'M SO HAPPY!! :biggrin: I've been waiting to hear back for ages now, so now that I have and I've been successful I'm absolutely over the moon and can't wait to get started with it! (One thing I'm incredibly excited about is how if I'm successful with the summer school the standard offer will be reduced from A*A*A to A*AB, so that's muuuuuch more manageable and I'm a lot more likely to achieve it! :biggrin:)

So yeah, this week's been pretty amazing for me! I haven't really been around here much (I've been elsewhere, but still), so have you all had good weeks as well? :h:
Reply 368
Congrats Niamh! Really well done getting into that scheme and yeah, A*AB looks a lot less scarier than A*A*A :tongue:
Congratulations! That sounds like an incredible opportunity!
Original post by Quido
Congrats Niamh! Really well done getting into that scheme and yeah, A*AB looks a lot less scarier than A*A*A :tongue:

Thank you!! :biggrin: and it certainly does!

Original post by Tombre
Congratulations! That sounds like an incredible opportunity!

Thank you very much! :h:

Oh my god, I CANNOT BELIEVE that I forgot to mention this earlier!!! (I'm so sorry about this!)

So as most, if not all, of you will know, I applied for a scheme run by Durham University called Supported Progression, which is supposed to make the transition to university easier by offering 2 different residentials (one of which being a summer school in which you get assessed on a mini-project). If you complete the summer school project to a high enough standard, you gain a guaranteed offer for Durham for any course relating to the subject you chose, and this offer is usually 2 grades lower than the standard offer. On top of this, you'll also get a pretty hefty bursary to help with, well, any student expenses I imagine!!

Responses to this started going out on Friday, and on Monday I got this little email...:

I'M SO HAPPY!! :biggrin: I've been waiting to hear back for ages now, so now that I have and I've been successful I'm absolutely over the moon and can't wait to get started with it! (One thing I'm incredibly excited about is how if I'm successful with the summer school the standard offer will be reduced from A*A*A to A*AB, so that's muuuuuch more manageable and I'm a lot more likely to achieve it! :biggrin:)

So yeah, this week's been pretty amazing for me! I haven't really been around here much (I've been elsewhere, but still), so have you all had good weeks as well? :h:

Aw this is so lovely to hear :smile: Congrats lovely :h: x

Responses to this started going noout on Friday, and on Monday I got this little email...:

Congratulations that's so amazing !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nisha.sri
Aw this is so lovely to hear :smile: Congrats lovely :h: x

Aw thank you Nisha! :h: x

Congratulations that's so amazing !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin:
15/01/2017 - Evening update

Hi guys. Because I feel like ever since I've been back at school I've been slacking a fair bit, and seeing how much all of you get done at weekends and such, I feel like I'm going to get a few bits done tonight. Besides, I'd much rather get all homework out of the way now than have to do some on my birthday!! :afraid:

Plan for today:

Maths homework on the trapezium rule

Physics reading on potential difference, current and resistance in both series and parallel circuits - maybe make some notes on these to remember?

Physics recapping on scalars, vectors and vectors in equilibrium - possibly also make notes if I have time but not a priority at all

Finish Further Maths homework on matrices - make sure it's all actually correct and try to work out the one I couldn't answer on Friday

Brief read of the matrices chapter of the FP1 textbook just to refresh myself ahead of tomorrow as I already feel myself forgetting some things

That's all, obviously I won't be able to do loads as I've left it until now to get started in the first place. I'll be back later to say how I get on :h:
15/01/2017 - Night update

Today I have:

Finished my Maths homework on the trapezium rule

Finished my Further Maths homework on matrices

Done my Physics homework on researching factors that affect resistance

Read through and recapped potential difference, current and resistance in series and parallel circuits

Begun to make notes on current and potential difference

A relatively productive evening I would say, hoping to keep this up a bit! Night all :h: x
15/01/2017 - Evening update

Hi guys. Because I feel like ever since I've been back at school I've been slacking a fair bit, and seeing how much all of you get done at weekends and such, I feel like I'm going to get a few bits done tonight. Besides, I'd much rather get all homework out of the way now than have to do some on my birthday!! :afraid:

Plan for today:

Maths homework on the trapezium rule

Physics reading on potential difference, current and resistance in both series and parallel circuits - maybe make some notes on these to remember?

Physics recapping on scalars, vectors and vectors in equilibrium - possibly also make notes if I have time but not a priority at all

Finish Further Maths homework on matrices - make sure it's all actually correct and try to work out the one I couldn't answer on Friday

Brief read of the matrices chapter of the FP1 textbook just to refresh myself ahead of tomorrow as I already feel myself forgetting some things

That's all, obviously I won't be able to do loads as I've left it until now to get started in the first place. I'll be back later to say how I get on :h:

Wait is it your birthday today? And congrats on the Durham thing! I swear I was feeling so excited for you while reading your post :tongue: :colone:
Original post by Shaaayxp
Wait is it your birthday today? And congrats on the Durham thing! I swear I was feeling so excited for you while reading your post :tongue: :colone:

No it's on Wednesday haha (should have probably made this clearer) but most of my homework is due on Thursday so I'd much rather not leave it until Wednesday night! :tongue:

Ah thank you!! :h:
16/01/2017 - Afternoon update

MOCK RESULTS - JANUARY 2017
I've been saying pretty much since I sat my first mock exam that I wasn't going to share my results until I had them all back and had had time to come to terms with what that means I need to improve on and work at for next time. That time has now come, so here are my first set of mock exam results!

Maths:
Paper: Core 1 - June 2014 (we have someone who's resitting so has already sat 2016's)
Mark: 67/75
Grade: A
Thoughts and feelings: Pleased with the grade, pretty understandably, so all is good really. I'm slightly (only slightly!) disappointed with the mark but for this stage I think it's quite impressive. I made far too many silly mistakes for my liking (although I think it was pretty much inevitable that I'd make at least one minus sign error! :lol:) I've still got 5 months (and a day! :afraid:) to get it nailed and start getting as close to full marks as possible though - ideally full marks itself for this paper at least. But yeah, overall my attitude towards this result is a positive one! :h:
What to improve on: Try not to mess up the integration question next time!! Also take care with negative signs, don't make as many silly errors. Be sure to prove a point is stationary before a maximum/minimum!!

Further Maths:
Paper: Decision 1 - June 2016
Mark: 53/75
Grade: A (just!!)
Thoughts and feelings: I am completely over the moon with this grade! Further Maths was one I was particularly worried about because of my previous timing issues with the papers and struggling to get all the content revised in time, but I'm absolutely elated that it's all paid off and I got that A I wanted so badly! (I was ecstatic when I saw it, I did a little happy stomp under the desk :lol:). I did mess up some things that lost me marks and I'm not overly happy about but I really couldn't care less right now. Obviously for the future I want these issues ironed out but for now, I'm gonna enjoy this moment! :biggrin:
What to improve on: Timing, as I was still rushed just not as much as before. I massively messed up the scheduling diagram so I need to revise and practice those a lot. Also I was literally on the boundary for an A, which, even though I couldn't care less about now, I want sorting out in the next 5 months so I can start getting closer to the top marks.

Physics *PROSPECTIVE - FIRST GUESS MARKING, OFFICIAL RESULTS COMING SOON*:
Paper: Not a specific year, an exam on the Particles and Radiation and Waves units made up of primarily specimen paper questions.
Mark: 42/69 (one multiple choice question was discounted due to a misprint)
Grade: C
Thoughts and feelings: Initially I was immensely disappointed with this result, as it doesn't fit in well with my other two grades and doesn't reflect the amount of work I put into preparing for it, and by my own personal standards (which I've made very high for myself, probably not for the best) it is a low grade. However thanks to some kind reassurance, I've accepted that this is how it is, it's not the end of the world and I've still got ages to improve. So I'm going to take it as more of a learning curve - what I was doing before clearly isn't working so I need to change it up a bit or put even more effort into nailing it. Obviously I'm still a bit disappointed with it but eh, it's done so now I just have to move on and make sure I improve in every test I do from now!! :yep:
What to improve on: Even more preparation, finding new techniques for getting information to stick, learning exam technique and how to hit all the marks, particularly in extended response questions as there were a few times where I seemed to completely avoid the key words! I think I'm going to start refreshing myself on content daily, as I really need to have it all learnt, and learnt properly. I'd actually appreciate it if any of you guys could give me tips on how to revise and prepare for physics exams? As this seems to be my biggest downfall. It's frustrating knowing that I'll have to dedicate more time than ever to this subject, when in fact it's not even the one I want to continue after next year! :colonhash: Hey ho, life goes on...

*EDIT: FINAL PHYSICS RESULTS*
Paper: Same as above
Mark: 44/69 (2 more than the first guess)
Grade: B (just!!!)
Thoughts and feelings: Happy bunny! I mean I think my teacher saw how disappointed I was after thinking I'd got a C so desperately tried to find me those 2 extra marks I needed though! :tongue: I'm not too fussed though, I'm relatively pleased with a B!
What to improve on: Same as above

So those were my mock results! I would have waited a bit longer to get my physics finalised but I just couldn't, I've known the others for a few days now so just wanted to share them all asap! If my physics does happen to change (I was actually pretty close to a B) I will change this and update you all on that :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
16/01/2017 - Afternoon update

MOCK RESULTS - JANUARY 2017

I've been saying pretty much since I sat my first mock exam that I wasn't going to share my results until I had them all back and had had time to come to terms with what that means I need to improve on and work at for next time. That time has now come, so here are my first set of mock exam results!

Maths:
Paper: Core 1 - June 2014 (we have someone who's resitting so has already sat 2016's)
Mark: 67/75
Grade: A
Thoughts and feelings: Pleased with the grade, pretty understandably, so all is good really. I'm slightly (only slightly!) disappointed with the mark but for this stage I think it's quite impressive. I made far too many silly mistakes for my liking (although I think it was pretty much inevitable that I'd make at least one minus sign error! :lol:) I've still got 5 months (and a day! :afraid:) to get it nailed and start getting as close to full marks as possible though - ideally full marks itself for this paper at least. But yeah, overall my attitude towards this result is a positive one! :h:
What to improve on: Try not to mess up the integration question next time!! Also take care with negative signs, don't make as many silly errors. Be sure to prove a point is stationary before a maximum/minimum!!

Further Maths:
Paper: Decision 1 - June 2016
Mark: 53/75
Grade: A (just!!)
Thoughts and feelings: I am completely over the moon with this grade! Further Maths was one I was particularly worried about because of my previous timing issues with the papers and struggling to get all the content revised in time, but I'm absolutely elated that it's all paid off and I got that A I wanted so badly! (I was ecstatic when I saw it, I did a little happy stomp under the desk :lol:). I did mess up some things that lost me marks and I'm not overly happy about but I really couldn't care less right now. Obviously for the future I want these issues ironed out but for now, I'm gonna enjoy this moment! :biggrin:
What to improve on: Timing, as I was still rushed just not as much as before. I massively messed up the scheduling diagram so I need to revise and practice those a lot. Also I was literally on the boundary for an A, which, even though I couldn't care less about now, I want sorting out in the next 5 months so I can start getting closer to the top marks.

Physics *PROSPECTIVE - FIRST GUESS MARKING, OFFICIAL RESULTS COMING SOON*:
Paper: Not a specific year, an exam on the Particles and Radiation and Waves units made up of primarily specimen paper questions.
Mark: 42/69 (one multiple choice question was discounted due to a misprint)
Grade: C
Thoughts and feelings: Initially I was immensely disappointed with this result, as it doesn't fit in well with my other two grades and doesn't reflect the amount of work I put into preparing for it, and by my own personal standards (which I've made very high for myself, probably not for the best) it is a low grade. However thanks to some kind reassurance, I've accepted that this is how it is, it's not the end of the world and I've still got ages to improve. So I'm going to take it as more of a learning curve - what I was doing before clearly isn't working so I need to change it up a bit or put even more effort into nailing it. Obviously I'm still a bit disappointed with it but eh, it's done so now I just have to move on and make sure I improve in every test I do from now!! :yep:
What to improve on: Even more preparation, finding new techniques for getting information to stick, learning exam technique and how to hit all the marks, particularly in extended response questions as there were a few times where I seemed to completely avoid the key words! I think I'm going to start refreshing myself on content daily, as I really need to have it all learnt, and learnt properly. I'd actually appreciate it if any of you guys could give me tips on how to revise and prepare for physics exams? As this seems to be my biggest downfall. It's frustrating knowing that I'll have to dedicate more time than ever to this subject, when in fact it's not even the one I want to continue after next year! :colonhash: Hey ho, life goes on...

So those were my mock results! I would have waited a bit longer to get my physics finalised but I just couldn't, I've known the others for a few days now so just wanted to share them all asap! If my physics does happen to change (I was actually pretty close to a B) I will change this and update you all on that :h:

Congratulations! They're a great set of mock results! You have the right attitude towards physics, just have to keep at it:tongue: physics new spec papers are really tough anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending