The Student Room Group

7th Sept: Living with a long term health condition?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
I have a chronic bowel condition and my boyfriend has chronic migraines. We both feel pretty similar about it - it's just unpleasant and annoying but we have to just get on with it.

Your boyfriend has my sympathy. I've had migraine on and off since I was about 14. I appeared to grow out of them and then started having problems with them 4 years ago. I've now got to take medication everyday (which has made me deaf in one ear and causes other problems) to prevent them. And I've got to put pain relief up my nose. Lovely.
Not the worst but I have Hyper-mobility in my knees, elbows and wrists. Just walking to school is painful and taking a step wrong can mean my knee goes. Its painful to write for long too, as my elbows bend 15-20% more than they should. Its annoying cause I have to constantly watch what I do, I can't do lots of running and weight-lifting anything heavier than 20kgs is risky.

The most annoying thing is that people don't believe how painful or stressful this condition is. I had to have an knee operation last year to try and sort out problems caused by Hyper-mobility which caused me to be unable to sit exams that has prevented me from be able to study Vet Med. And I need another op this year so its more stress thinking about the problems that will cause.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Your boyfriend has my sympathy. I've had migraine on and off since I was about 14. I appeared to grow out of them and then started having problems with them 4 years ago. I've now got to take medication everyday (which has made me deaf in one ear and causes other problems) to prevent them. And I've got to put pain relief up my nose. Lovely.

He has pain relief but they had no other way of stopping them. All other meds do nothing and pain killers only take the edge of. I feel so sorry for him (and you), bless.

I slept at his when I got my results and he waited up for a few hours with me before them (I got them at 6am online) and he had such a bad migraine, he literally couldn't open his eyes :frown:!
Reply 23
Original post by WoodyMKC
Ahhh, yeah it's a bit of anunreliable method of testing sometimes!
Yeah I can go more often in the winter, not what I'd call consistently but just enough to keep progressing :smile: The summer wipes me out though so nah :lol:

I'm still on a clinic waiting list, been on it for a year! You?

Ah okay! :biggrin: Yeah just sort of starting it and it seems pretty trial and error and works off an individual basis but hopefully it will help! Were you able to go to school/college/Uni?
He has pain relief but they had no other way of stopping them. All other meds do nothing and pain killers only take the edge of. I feel so sorry for him (and you), bless.

I slept at his when I got my results and he waited up for a few hours with me before them (I got them at 6am online) and he had such a bad migraine, he literally couldn't open his eyes :frown:!

Thanks. I'm lucky that we've finally found something that works that doesn't leave me too ill or tired.

I have been told I do need to work out what my triggers are. But there's nothing overly obvious.
A bit pity this topic is not on the map anymore, cause I would like to put more stress on depression

Most probably it seriously damaged my career, not to mention 1 year of additional stress that only worsened it, because of medical tests, that had to be done due to physical symptoms that at first looked like a serious infection or other chronic illness and it ended with some humiliating examinations because of cancer suspicion.

Even perfectly cured person stays affected by depression, because it affects results at university or job, and then HR departments tend to presume that the one is either lazy or stupid, while the person was actually ill.
Original post by fuzz13
Ah okay! :biggrin: Yeah just sort of starting it and it seems pretty trial and error and works off an individual basis but hopefully it will help! Were you able to go to school/college/Uni?

Yeah, I'm in my mid 20s now and wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago, and it was still mild then. I was perfectly fine throughout my educational years :smile: You?
I have chronic tiger blood, doctors say I'm the illest cuz I'm suffering from realness

Original post by z33
off topic note: do we need a TV license to post on this thread? :tongue:

I remember you, don't get caught :colone:
I'm thinking of setting up a private buddy scheme to give first years a contact with the same/similar conditions as them a fellow student contact. Anyone think that would be a good idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by WoodyMKC
Yeah, I'm in my mid 20s now and wasn't diagnosed until a few years ago, and it was still mild then. I was perfectly fine throughout my educational years :smile: You?

Ah ok :smile: I'm 16 so in the middle of eductaion and muddling through somehow :cookie: I guess it impacts quite a lot on your work, if you are even able to work?!:redface:
Original post by fuzz13
Ah ok :smile: I'm 16 so in the middle of eductaion and muddling through somehow :cookie: I guess it impacts quite a lot on your work, if you are even able to work?!:redface:

Ah, that's cool. You just finished your GCSEs then and going to college now?

Yeah I work part-time and I'm on flexi-hours, perfect for me really :biggrin: Then I make the rest of my money at home doing various bits and bobs.

Wow your parents let you sleep at your boyfriends house at that age?
Original post by inspiringtop123
Wow your parents let you sleep at your boyfriends house at that age?

I'm 18 years of age... yes?
Deliberating migraines with auras that I have had for nearly a decade, but the worst aspect was that everyone, including my family, initially thought I was making them up, or it was just a headache that I was being OTT about. Suprisingly, they've pretty much disappeared since I've been talking the mini-pill, which I find odd as aren't they supposed to make them worse?
I'm 18 years of age... yes?

Wow ok
Nice to know that your parents are that supportive I guess
Wow ok
Nice to know that your parents are that supportive I guess

Well, they're not very supportive at all but they can't do anything about it. My boyfriend can drive, and if they tried to stop me or restrict me, I would literally pack a bag, throw my laptop bag on my shoulder, and walk out.

He works on festivals for some of the year so when he comes back, I end up staying with him for weeks and not coming home :')
Well, they're not very supportive at all but they can't do anything about it. My boyfriend can drive, and if they tried to stop me or restrict me, I would literally pack a bag, throw my laptop bag on my shoulder, and walk out.

He works on festivals for some of the year so when he comes back, I end up staying with him for weeks and not coming home :':wink:

Wow I'm sorry to hear that
Wow I'm sorry to hear that

It's alright :smile:
Big love and positive energy to this thread (even though I'm unhappy with the bbc propaganda towards a right wing bias).

I have ME. The thing itself is crap but my biggest challenge since diagnosis has been worrying about how this may place limitations on my future (especially financially) and in terms of how people (some previously) close to me have reacted towards it.

With the help of counselling, anti depressants and people who have been there for me, I have seen a lot of true colours from people who I thought I could trust. It's been dark in that regard but I genuinely think it has made me stronger in terms of not being afraid to call BS on attitudes, actions or behaviour that is negative towards me and the realities of what I'm going through.

I'd like to make it clear here that my local NHS does not provide counselling services and I had lots of arguments with them over this which didn't help my wellbeing at all (quite the opposite!). I was lucky enough to be able to source some good counselling elsewhere but this doesn't make it right.*
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Deliberating migraines with auras that I have had for nearly a decade, but the worst aspect was that everyone, including my family, initially thought I was making them up, or it was just a headache that I was being OTT about. Suprisingly, they've pretty much disappeared since I've been talking the mini-pill, which I find odd as aren't they supposed to make them worse?

I was put on the pill because one trigger is my periods. Not had trouble with it.

Quick Reply

Latest