Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'too busy' to help a friend

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

This thread is about people who don't take the time to be your friend and thus lower the quality of the friendship (or so-called): they don't reply to your text messages and they don't do the small favors you ask them.

When I'm busy - be it work, study or play - I always, always take the time to reply to people because it takes about 30 seconds to do so and I care about them. I'm not inconsiderate and impolite to carelessly let people out in the cold.People who don't care enough to reply straight away, stay away from me.

I have been in the very-busy-person seat (doing my software development internship at a corporation) and even then I still took the time to reply.It is nearly impossible to be too busy to reply. The truth is that those who don't reply just don't care enough. Remember the lessons from philosophy: there exists no forced option, there only exists choice, be it advantageous or non-advantageous. There is no 'I had no choice' or 'I couldn't', there is only 'I chose not to care enough, I chose not to put aside the thing I was doing'.

This is not just about replying but also about important things such as helping your friend out. You ask an important favor of your friend and that friend later comes with a whole host of excuses, from "I was painting the house" to "my brother got home". If you have a whole weekend to do a small, (30 minute) favor for someone, it's impossible for you to not fit it there, unless you are the world's busiest celebrity. Truth is truth, my friends. I always do every favor for my friends and without delay!

Yes, and yes, this behavior does have consequences! The most embarrassing moment I had was when I invited 7 of my friends to my birthday and they 100%, connnfirmed, they said they would be there, only for me to cancel all 7 restaurant booked seats on my birthday itself because they canceled on me.

People didn't act this cold 30 years ago and my 70-year old martial arts teacher can agree with me on that.

Vikar said it right:

Annoying people who don't reply

Types of friends

And that is that.
    I hope there are kind and honest people out there who can relate to this.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.