The Student Room Group

Are My A Level Options Bad?

I picked IT, Business Studies and Media Studies and I was forced to take Welsh Bac (it's extremely easy but accepted at most universities apparently). I hope to do a degree in teaching and become a primary school teacher. Will my options prevent me from getting into uni and/or finding a job?
Your options won't prevent you from getting into uni necessarily. Although they are considered soft it really depends how you do in them.

The Welsh Bacc is a difficult one because while it is accepted in most universities it isn't held in very high regards and with your other options it might limit you.

Your options definitely won't hinder you from getting a job as a primary school teacher. Some of my friends have gone on to teach primary with little to no A-Levels. However they might prevent or at least make it harder to get into a Russel group or a 'good' university if that matters to you.

It really depends on the rest of your application as well. Extra curricular things, personal statement and all that.
Original post by clarke2000
I picked IT, Business Studies and Media Studies and I was forced to take Welsh Bac (it's extremely easy but accepted at most universities apparently). I hope to do a degree in teaching and become a primary school teacher. Will my options prevent me from getting into uni and/or finding a job?

I have no idea what the Welsh Bacc is but those subjects seem good to me, and hoping you do well in them you should be fine! Do you want to do a degree in teaching or do a degree in your preferred subject field then follow the up with a PGCE? It maybe better to go down the PGCE route as you may have a change in aspirations later in life.
Reply 3
Original post by unrealistic
Your options won't prevent you from getting into uni necessarily. Although they are considered soft it really depends how you do in them.

The Welsh Bacc is a difficult one because while it is accepted in most universities it isn't held in very high regards and with your other options it might limit you.

Your options definitely won't hinder you from getting a job as a primary school teacher. Some of my friends have gone on to teach primary with little to no A-Levels. However they might prevent or at least make it harder to get into a Russel group or a 'good' university if that matters to you.

It really depends on the rest of your application as well. Extra curricular things, personal statement and all that.

I'm not really looking to get into an elite university so I should be fine :biggrin:
Original post by clarke2000
I'm not really looking to get into an elite university so I should be fine :biggrin:

You'll be fine then, might be a little harder but you should be alright. :biggrin:

Good luck
Reply 5
Original post by ollie1024
I have no idea what the Welsh Bacc is but those subjects seem good to me, and hoping you do well in them you should be fine! Do you want to do a degree in teaching or do a degree in your preferred subject field then follow the up with a PGCE? It maybe better to go down the PGCE route as you may have a change in aspirations later in life.

I'm going for the teaching degree. I hope after a few years I can train as a headteacher because management and finance are other things I want to pursue and they're both needed to be a headteacher. Welsh Bacc is basically a load of different projects. One of the projects last year was creating a new gadget and pitching it a bit like dragons den. It's the easiest A Level out there I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest