The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Switching from full time to part time?

Hello,

I think I may have asked this question on here before through an old username a few years ago, but for the life of me can't remember what my old login was haha.

So what I wanted to know was, I will potentially be studying the Psychology degree full time to begin with, but I couldn't seem to find out anywhere if it's possible to switch to studying at a part time pace after say the first or second year?

Quoting the OU website, they say "OU qualifications are designed to be flexible. You can study full or part time, vary how much you do from year to year, or even take a complete break." So in my eyes I would interpret the 'vary how much you do from year to year' to mean that you can decide each year how many credits you want to study, even if you have applied and began studying full time. But I guess I just wanted some sort of official confirmation on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by hannahward08
Hello,

I think I may have asked this question on here before through an old username a few years ago, but for the life of me can't remember what my old login was haha.

So what I wanted to know was, I will potentially be studying the Psychology degree full time to begin with, but I couldn't seem to find out anywhere if it's possible to switch to studying at a part time pace after say the first or second year?

Quoting the OU website, they say "OU qualifications are designed to be flexible. You can study full or part time, vary how much you do from year to year, or even take a complete break." So in my eyes I would interpret the 'vary how much you do from year to year' to mean that you can decide each year how many credits you want to study, even if you have applied and began studying full time. But I guess I just wanted some sort of official confirmation on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :smile:

It's super easy! With the OU, you have to enroll for each module (most are 60 credits, some are 30). So if you study 2 level 1 modules in the first year (total of 120 credits), that is full time. Then for year 2, you need to enroll for your next modules, so if you want to go down to part-time, you can just choose one module and study 60 credits in one year. I just did the opposite and went up to full-time, also studying psychology. I've really enjoyed it so far! Hope you do too!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi,

The OU has its own credit system, and 120 credits equates to full-time study (with 360 credits as the total number of credits you must complete to earn your degree). The majority of modules are worth 30 credits, while there are some heavier ones (usually further on in your studies) worth 60 credits. At the start of every academic year, you choose the modules you wish to study that year, and you can always choose as many credits as you want up to 120. So yes, the OU is completely flexible in that regard.

To give you an example, you can study the first year full-time (i.e. 120 credits), then you can choose to study only 60 credits the next year. Then, perhaps you'd want to take a break and not study anything for a year. And then you could choose to study 90 credits for two more years. Or 60 credits for three more years. Or 60 credits the first year and 120 credits the last year. It's entirely up to you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest