Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does racism in the lower class differ from racism in the middle class?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I've always wondered how racism in the lower class was supposed to work. I've heard so many random things about racism in the lower class:
    > People from the lower class tend to be more racist because they want to keep their jobs
    > Lower class people are often called "chavs", and Muslims and Blacks are often stereotyped as "chavvy"
    > Races are divided along class lines, so Muslims and Blacks often integrate well with the lower class whites.
    > Lower class people are more Islamophobic and racist
    > East Asians and Indians usually receive more racism from lower class people than middle class people; it's almost chavvy to be racist to these people

I don't get how all the statements above can be true. Apparently lower class people are very integrated into Black culture and are very friendly towards Muslims, but they're also apparently far more racist than the middle class...

Hi there,

It might be best to actually talk to people from all social backgrounds and then devise what I would call a table and/or chart.

This will then allow you to gather the information you need while helping somebody else that could potentially have the same question in years to come.

I for one would love to hear your findings. Can anyone recommend a chart for ringitloud?

They are less concerned with being politically correct, so are more likely to use racist language, though this isn't the same as having genuine hate.

Also I'm part of the underclass, I've never seen a muslim be called a chav even once. People only see them as muslims regardless of social class, no other identity is acknowledged.

Of course these are all broad generalisations.

(Original post by ringitloud)
    Apparently lower class people are very integrated into Black culture and are very friendly towards Muslims
    Who the **** told you that!? Sure, you get a fair few white working class wiggers (see chav 'rappers' on YouTube FYR) but that doesn't mean communities mix well more generally. Muslim culture is anathema to white working classes, and vice versa
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.