The Student Room Group

Is it up to the student or school on how many gcses?

Is it up to you,as student,or up to the school depending on how many gcses you should/must have?
I just moved to the UK and i dont know how many subjects I should take,but if its up to me then its easy to pick.I have read on google and it sounds like this number varies between students but most take about 10 ...please help!
For us the school basically chose but we had some choice.

We all had to take English (x2), maths and you got chosen to either do double/triple science. Then we had to do RE and a language. PE was optional but it didn't take up an option space. Then we had the choice of 3 options.

So at our school the minimum you could have taken was 10 (some cases were slightly different) and maximum 12

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well in my school we had to do english lit, english lang, core science, additional science and Maths.
Then we got a choice on 4 subjects we can do
Reply 3
The government say that you have to do English Literature and Language, Maths and Science (usually double or triple). Your school will probably insist you also study History, Geography or a MFL. Usually this leaves you with a further three choices. Many schools will allow you to take additional options on top of these if they think you will cope with the work load.

Quick Reply

Latest