Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Economics/Finance at Edinburgh/Glasgow

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi there, guys.

First of, I am a Scottish student, therefore I studied Highers as opposed to A-levels, so therefore I will start by saying that the 'expected offer' grades for the two aforementioned universities are AAAAA and AAAAAA to study Economics.

At school, I achieved 7 A grades at higher (including economics), 1 C grade in Maths (perhaps this will be held against me in applications...), and 1 advanced higher C grade in a science.

I was actually at university last year studying biological sciences at Edinburgh, but very early on decided that I should've stuck with my gut and studied a degree in Economics/Finance. Perhaps naively, I stuck with it, and ended up failing my first set of exams, and not sitting the second as I left. I was the textbook case of a 'False Start Year'.

Recently I phoned every university in Scotland, and they said that it should not be held against me in my applications this year. In the meantime, I'm studying an accounting course at college to add another qualification to my name.

Despite being told this, however, I'm incredibly anxious, and it really is keeping me up at night being worried about getting rejected from university because I made the wrong choice - I have the grades for these courses, surely I can't get shown the door because I left before.

My question therefore is this - does anybody have any experience of a similar situation? Has it ever been held against them? And more generally, is there anything that I can do to improve my application to give myself as good a chance as I possibly can?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.