Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Choosing unis to apply to based on AS results

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

I took AS maths, further maths, chemistry and physics and I'm continuing maths, further maths and physics to A2. My AS grades were 3As and a B in further maths- 1 UMS off of an A. I'm applying to study maths at university. I did want to apply for Oxford before I got my results back. Will the B in further maths mean I'll be rejected? I got 2As and a C in the modules that made up my further maths AS, I plan to resit the module I got a C in. Is it still worth applying for Oxford?

firstly having 1 aspirational university is fine as long as you also have good other choices. The grades requires for Maths in the very best universities tend to be exceptional and the quality of candidates outstanding. Firstly check Oxford's maths requirement and if you feel you can meet those grades then go ahead. Grades like AAA or AAB are fairly commonplace for Maths and higher offers are often requested.
    It would be wise to look for 2 unis who will offer you slightly lower grades like AAB or ABB in case of rejection or not reaching your grades

(Original post by swansea jack 1)
    firstly having 1 aspirational university is fine as long as you also have good other choices.
    I find this to be very true! I'm applying to Oxford with AAAA, but don't expect to get in, but have 2 other good unis and 2 as back ups. But with 5 university choices there's little risk, unless you're really undecided!

Oxford is weird. My friend had AAAAA at AS but didn't even get an interview because he flunked the admissions test. If you do well in the test you might be able to get in with less.

Definitely give Oxford a shot! It's only one of your five choices.

I'd also look at getting the C module remarked as it maybe cause your FM to bump up to an A overall.

I'd go for Oxford, and then 3 AAA courses (eg Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh) and then one AAB course

Best of luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.